What's new

Need to set client & server ip addresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

anlaoch

Occasional Visitor
Hi.

Having recently moved house and service provider, the client / server ip details (in taskbar connection icon) have changed when I dial in. I used to have 192.168.1.3 for the server and 192.168.1.2 for the client. Now, however, the client and server have been assigned something completely different.

I managed to set the client ip address back to 192.168.1.2 but I can't figure out how to put the server ip back to 192.1168.1.3 (when dialling in). I need to do this because I've got synced files which I can only access when the connection is made under the old ip numbers.

Can this be done?

Thanks.

--
Specs:

Server: xp pro sp3, dyndns, port 1723 forwarded.
Client: Windows 2000

Old router: Creative broadband blaster
New router: Cisco epc2425

I'm guessing that because you're posting in the VPN forum, you're working with a VPN. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Yeah, sorry. Should have been clearer. This is a vpn that I set up with my old equipment and service provider. Now I've moved to a new service provider who have given me a wireless router and I'm having the problems outlined above.

All help appreciated.

Thanks.

Any particular reason you can't just log in locally and change the IP or the router's LAN subnet?

Unfortunately I don't have enough expertise or knowledge on the matter. There were limited settings on the old Creative router, but the Cisco one has multiple menus most of which go way over my head. Besides, there were no settings in the router menu or vpn properties that stipulated a server address of 192.168.1.3.

Also, I don't understand where or how the vpn sets the server ip address. The old ip address (192.168.1.3) related to neither the internal nor external ip addresses (the external ip address was dynamic and the internal ended in .13). So I need to get the vpn back to having a client ip with 192.168.1.2 and the server with 192.168.1.3.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

Product manual here.

If the existing LAN subnet is already 192.168.1.x, try giving the server a static IP manually using Windows.

There's a couple of things I don't get. Specifically:

The internal ip has always been fixed to .13 and the external ip has always been dynamic (until I moved to UPC), so I don't see where the vpn consistently got the .2 and .3 ip addresses, and it _was_ consistent!

Also, current router has the following settings...

LAN
IP Address: 192.168.1.1 /24
IP Network: 192.168.1.0
Decimal NetMask: 255.255.255.0
Broadcast: 192.168.1.255

WAN
IP Address: 89.101.106.xxx
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway IP: 89.101.106.1

I'm guessing that the external ip address can't be changed and I've tried changing the subnet but it doesn't let me.

What am I doing wrong?