What's new

Need to tweak my home network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SevenEleven

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have a less than ideal setup at home. I have attached a diagram of my setup.

It was a struggle to get it to work in the first place. And provides almost daily problems.

I use SSID2 as my main wireless connections, for some reason it always assigns an ip of 192.168.1.xxx. With no internet access.

I have to assign static IP's of 192.168.0.xxx with the gateway of 192.168.0.1. It works but is a pain. I am frequently having to reboot the netgear routers, and occasionally the Asus.

Everything is running current stock firmware. I had a power failure last night and now nothing past the Asus works wirelessly. So while I have to repair this I thought I might see if I can improve on this?

Thanks

Sorry forgot the attachment

Attachments

• network (1).jpg
    network (1).jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 464
Because the NETGEAR N300 is running as a router, anything connected to SSID2 will be on its own subnet. I suspect SSID2 clients have no internet connectivity because the Router WAN Gateway and DNS isn't set properly.

I recommend you convert the N300 to an access point. Then everything will be on the same subnet and the ASUS RT-AC66U can assign TCP/IP information to everyone.

Be sure that the NETGEAR N300 is set to a different channel than the one you are using for the ASUS-NETGEAR R6300 bridge.

I tried as you suggested and couldnt get any internet access. I decided to try switching the firmware to DD-WRT after that it worked great.

Thanks for all your help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!