What's new

Need VLAN help on Cisco SG300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BeachBum

Regular Contributor
I am needing some help understanding the setup of VLANs on my Cisco SG300-52 switch. I am running it in L2 mode as I will be handling the routing via pfSense (connected via uplink port 50).

I have created the following VLANs in pfSense both under the parent interface en1 LAN, and have assigned them as well:

vlan10 IOT assigned 192.168.10.1
vlan20 WorkNet assigned 192.168.20.1

On the switch, I have created the two VLANs under VLAN Management/Create VLANS:

vlan10 IOT (both checkboxes checked)
vlan20 WorkNet (both checkboxes checked)

Here is where I get lost. Between the Interfaces, Port to VLAN, and Port VLAN Membership panels I am not sure what to do here.

Can someone please help with what I need to set up here.

Additionally I have read that we should replace the default VLAN 1 to something else? Also that I need to add the uplink port (50) to the default VLAN as Trunk?

Since you are just learning VLANs don't change the default VLAN. I would leave it as VLAN 1. Plus I am not sure you can change it on these smaller Cisco switches. I am running a Cisco SG300-28 switch in layer 3 mode. It has been setup and running for more than a couple of years. It has been a while since I read the specs.

Port to VLAN and Port VLAN Membership is where you assign a port to a VLAN number and you assign the port tagged, untagged or trunked.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!