What's new

Need volunteers to review TorGuard OpenVPN 2.4 Client Setup Guide

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xentrk

Part of the Furniture
I am looking for three to six forum members who meet the following requirements:
  1. Have 380.65 or 380.65_2 release installed. Or, are willing to upgrade to this release.
  2. Use OpenVPN Client with TorGuard on your router. However, I am open to testing with other VPN providers. I would like a mix of those who route all traffic thru the VPN tunnel and some who use Policy Rules. Or, are willing to test with both settings.
  3. Have AB-Solution 3.6.5 installed and are able to test the
    1. update AB-Solution function
    2. send test email function with OpenVPN set to all traffic and Policy Rules.
If you agree, I will send you a PM with a link to a OpenVPN Client Setup Guide in PDF format on my dropbox account. The guide is specifically targeted for TorGuard customers. However, I found nuances with OpenVPN 2.4 that may apply to other VPN providers, especially if you use OpenVPN with Policy Rules and AB-Solution 3.6.5. Your job will be to review and comment on the guide before I post to SNB forums and test the settings that resolve the issues I discovered.

I put together a setup guide for several reasons:

My VPN provider is TorGuard. There are some setup differences when compared to yorgi’s PIA setup guide in the VPN Forum.
  • The documentation on the TorGuard website has not been updated for ASUS Merlin 380.65 + releases.
  • Some configurations I used in prior versions of OpenVPN no longer work with OpenVPN 2.4, which is now included in ASUS Merlin 380.65 + releases.
  • I encountered issues with AB-Solution 3.6.5 when using Policy Rules with OpenVPN 2.4 that did not occur with prior releases.
  • Several snbforum.com forum members have been unable to get OpenVPN working with the 380.65 release. As a result, some forum members are reluctant to upgrade to ASUS Merlin 380.65 because of the issues others are reporting. I hope this guide addresses their concerns.
Please PM me if you would like to be included in the review and test of the guide.

Thank you!

I'm a TorGuard customer. I tried to setup openvpn client even with help from them. Setup is easy enough but I couldn't get the bandwidth needed for streaming. They sold me a streaming ip and with this I setup with their help a pptp client as my iptv wouldn't connect any other way. I had tried policy rules and without and had all kinds of trouble with this connection to my iptv provider and bandwidth. Now with pptp connection set up I have zero problems with bandwidth and is very stable. It seems all functions of my router work like ab-solution. I did have trouble with dnscrypt but only in that the vpn needed to be delayed in starting. I will be following this thread for sure.

Edit: I only use vpn to disguise streaming traffic from my isp provider, or to make it hard for them to figure out.

Edit: I will participate when you are ready.

Last edited:
I'm a TorGuard customer. I tried to setup openvpn client even with help from them. Setup is easy enough but I couldn't get the bandwidth needed for streaming. They sold me a streaming ip and with this I setup with their help a pptp client as my iptv wouldn't connect any other way. I had tried policy rules and without and had all kinds of trouble with this connection to my iptv provider and bandwidth. Now with pptp connection set up I have zero problems with bandwidth and is very stable. It seems all functions of my router work like ab-solution. I did have trouble with dnscrypt but only in that the vpn needed to be delayed in starting. I will be following this thread for sure.

Edit: I only use vpn to disguise streaming traffic from my isp provider, or to make it hard for them to figure out.

Edit: I will participate when you are ready.
Thank you @skeal. I greatly appreciate it. Last night, @Zirescu gave me some awesome feedback. After I incorporate the updates, I will notify you both for a review of the updates. I was surprised about the behavior with policy rules vs all traffic and hope you will be able to see if you can duplicate what I found in my testing. My primary use for Torguard is also for streaming media and to block my geo location. I have a Roku 4 player connected to the router. I find that improved my streaming experience when compared to Samsung Smart TV. Probably due to the CPU in the Roku 4 is my guess. I don't use encryption to get the best streaming performance.

I am trying purevpn but next month I will go yo torguard. At the moment I am still studying how to set the router I disabled Nat hardware and qos and purevpn seems better but low anyway. I was thinking to try torguard because I can manage more settings

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

The problem with some VPN providers, if they are based in china they dont give you a straight answer regarding their privacy policies, in other words if the chinese government wants to spy on you they can. This is because the chinese government tends to tighten their control over certain businesses if they want to achieve something. All those car manufacturers that went to court over copyright and IP infringement over chinese car companies copying their stuff lost as the country wants to copy their cars to slowly learn to build better cars.

PureVPN's company is registered in china so they have to follow their rules and requirements. Many think this is fine but its a quiet privacy infringement waiting to happen. EU countries tend to have better policies regarding privacy and some countries just dont even know how to enforce things which would let a vpn provider in such a country not have to comply with any sort of spying requests from anyone even if pressured by the US. The reason why chinese based VPN providers are popular is because the US cant pressure the companies but you're basically going with the opposing equivalent of the US so it would make no difference if you used a VPN provider registered to the US in this case.

What I noticed when I got into this is the reviews are written by people who get a commission if you sign up with the provider if you click on a link on their site or use a promotion code. I ended up with TG because they were one of the few remaining who could get around the VPN blocks by two large media streaming services. Chose one with a 30 day return policy is my recommendation. And, one that has a good choice of servers in the geo location you need to connect to.