What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Veldkornet

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share that Netdata is now available on entware-ng, which I'm quite a fan of. I know there are some other people out there who also enjoy pretty graphs ;)

Code:
opkg update
opkg install netdata
/etc/init.d/S60netdata start

Browse to http://<router_ip>:19999

Just a note from the wiki:
Embedded devices usually have very limited RAM resources available.

There are 2 settings for you to tweak:
  1. update every, which controls the data collection frequency
  2. history, which controls the size of the database in RAM
By default update every = 1 and history = 3600. This gives you an hour of data with per second updates.

If you set update every = 2 and history = 1800, you will still have an hour of data, but collected once every 2 seconds. This will cut in half both CPU and RAM resources consumed by netdata.

You can also disable plugins you don't need. Disabling the plugins will also free both CPU and RAM resources.

Some screenshots...

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.28.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.28.35.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.28.43.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 10.29.00.png

Last edited:
Thank you for this post, installed and works perfectly.
Can you possibly explain what you might have done differently than the steps listed above? I've tried 3 times to install netdata on my N-66U and immediately on start, my system log gets spammed in errors. And if I attempt to connect to the monitoring page, my router's cpu usage spikes to 100% utilization until I forcibly kill netdata. The page never does load, and I've tried many different configs and settings to try and get it to work. The most hopeful solution I read involved symlinks but I'm not sure what I need to link when it comes to merlin.

I'd really appreciate any guidance or help in getting netdata properly installed as it's absolutely gorgeous not to mention, in my opinion, offers extremely useful monitoring options

Can you possibly explain what you might have done differently than the steps listed above? I've tried 3 times to install netdata on my N-66U and immediately on start, my system log gets spammed in errors.

I think the package may only be for ARM devices, and the N66U is MIPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an RT-ACU as well and tried to install this, all goes well until the last line. No such file or directory? I have entware installed as part of AB-Solution, do I have what I need? Am I missing something? Thanks

I have an RT-ACU as well and tried to install this, all goes well until the last line. No such file or directory? I have entware installed as part of AB-Solution, do I have what I need? Am I missing something? Thanks

Maybe your file name is different.

Do a list of /etc/init.d/ and check what all is there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sorry, no such directory. There were no errors when I installed and when I go through the commands again it says it's installed..

Sorry, no such directory. There were no errors when I installed and when I go through the commands again it says it's installed..
Try: /opt/etc/init.d/S60netdata start

Not sure why the GUI is showing IPv6 Networking information for me and no IPv4 info. I don't have IPv6 from my ISP, any ideas?

I get these errors in my system log.. also the time on the event doesn't match the router time...

58: failed to create new thread for web client.
Feb 11 12:18:05 netdata[13587]: PLUGINSD: failed to create new thread for plugin 'python.d.plugin'.

I get these errors in my system log.. also the time on the event doesn't match the router time...

58: failed to create new thread for web client.
Feb 11 12:18:05 netdata[13587]: PLUGINSD: failed to create new thread for plugin 'python.d.plugin'.

To fix the even times you can edit the rc.conf file which will fix the times reported by any entware applications you install.
Add the following line above the $PRECMD line in start() function in rc.conf, which you can find here: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func
Code:
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)

Not sure why but the python.d plugin wasn't set to no automatically in the config file located here: /opt/etc/netdata/netdata.conf

You can add the following line to the plugin section of netdata.conf and then restart the app.
Code:
python.d = no

To restart: /opt/etc/init.d/S60netdata restart

netdata is pretty cool - check out their wiki on github for some settings that might be useful in the config file - to reduce the overhead (the netdata processes to collect do incur some processor time) and whether to write to disk or not (on something like a router, probably not recommended to keep it from hammering the flash).

https://github.com/firehol/netdata/wiki/Configuration

(runs well enough, even on Raspberry Pi)

Hello, is have this messages:

Apr 6 22:15:22 netdata[28603]: Cannot popen("exec /opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin 2 ", "r").
Apr 6 22:15:22 netdata[28603]: PLUGINSD: '/opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin' thread exiting
Apr 6 22:16:22 netdata[28603]: Cannot popen("exec /opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin 2 ", "r").
Apr 6 22:16:22 netdata[28603]: PLUGINSD: '/opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin' thread exiting

How i can fix this, how i can edit this files on usb disk. With ftp transfer, the message no access to overwrite.

edit conf file - ipv4 is switched off ...
Care to elaborate? I don't see any reference to ipv4 in the netdata.conf file.

Hello, is have this messages:

Apr 6 22:15:22 netdata[28603]: Cannot popen("exec /opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin 2 ", "r").
Apr 6 22:15:22 netdata[28603]: PLUGINSD: '/opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin' thread exiting
Apr 6 22:16:22 netdata[28603]: Cannot popen("exec /opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin 2 ", "r").
Apr 6 22:16:22 netdata[28603]: PLUGINSD: '/opt/lib/netdata/plugins.d/python.d.plugin' thread exiting

How i can fix this, how i can edit this files on usb disk. With ftp transfer, the message no access to overwrite.

SSH to the router and then edit the file using vi.
Code:
vi /opt/etc/netdata/netdata.conf
Cursor down to the plugins section.
i to insert
type in: python.d
hit the ESC key
then: :wq
which will save the file to disk and exit vi

To restart: /opt/etc/init.d/S60netdata restart

Add the following line above the $PRECMD line in start() function in rc.conf, which you can find here: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func
Code:
export TZ=$(cat /etc/TZ)

Thank, i try this, but this message in log, see pictures.

Attachments

• net1.JPG
    net1.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 844
  • net2.JPG
    net2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 824
You only need it before the PRECMD, not the POSTCMD.