What's new

NETGEAR EVA9150 Digital Entertainer Elite Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I haven't tested the DATOptic, so can't provide any guidance.

Very happy to know it supports WPA2, I was wondering about that. Presumably 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz?

This really looks like a lust-worthy piece of hardware. . . but until the software support/partnerships get better, it's still not *the one*.

hi tim,

regarding your eva beeing unable to play canon-made videos. you may have realized that those videos utilized mjpeg instead of mpeg. thats precisely the reason why they dont play. the eva (8k and 9k) have never been able to play mjpeg of any kind, and i doubt they ever will.

regarding youtube someties showing that you need to have the app installed. that happens when you play the old flash-based movies. the eva can only decode the newer h264 encoded clips itself and has to rely on dew for the older flash-clips.

the internet-streams actually also contain some pretty amazing looking hd-stuff (the hubble-clips for example). with the newest betafirmware they also have aded a service called playon which lets you access netflix, hulu and stuff like that (http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=36995) it currently needs a special software running on a pc, but i hope this will be fully integrated into the eva at some point (like youtube playback).

regarding internet-radio. you say netgear omitted free radio services.. well i didnt have to pay for any of the radio services offered, so i would consider them free?

just my viewpoint though :)

Thanks for the information Beisser.

As to free radio services, I specifically named the services that I was referring to. Regardless, I still think the Internet radio features are of limited use, especially compared to the Squeezebox implementation.

maybe. the squeezebox specializes in audio-streaming after all.

the eva does pretty much what i want from it (playing my local media from my nas). it has a lot of stuff that can be improved, no doubt about that, but i think its a pretty solid device which support lots of different containers and codecs. although there are 2 i would ned that arent supported. ogm container and vorbis audio.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!