What's new

Netgear GS108Tv2 VoIP options

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dieter

I have created a VLAN using port7, intending to hook my VoIP phone to it. No fancy Cisco VoIP phone, and no computers hood to the phone.

Is it true that I need a VLAN aware router to take advantage of the VoIP capability of this switch?

I don't understand why that would be. All the switch would need to do is to give the VoIP VLAN priority.

If you want to use VLAN's, all devices (routers / switches) need to support VLAN's and some sort of prioritization. Depending on your overall ISP bandwidth, and traffic type, you may not need any priority at all, unless you are already experiencing issues with calls.

The Voice VLAN should give any supported device in the OUI priority over data traffic. Not necessary to add an L3 capable device such as router or L3 switch as the VoIP and Data traffic will run over the same LAN, but VoIP traffic will have priority.

If dynamic routing is required so VoIP and Data run over different routed VLANs, then an L3 switch or VLAN capable router would be introduced.

Thank you for this info. I have used these guidelines. Netgear tech support had also been very helpful with my issues.

However, in testing the GS108Tv2 for VoIP Vlan and general thruput performance, I have learned that this switch performance is rather poor.

I have found that the thruput from one hardwired PC to another (on VLAN20) on a file copy with no other traffic thru the switch, is only 93Mbps (using Netmeter). Doing Speedtest (also from VLAN20) whether the file copy is active on not, I only realize 60Mbps LAN to WAN.

As a comparison, on my Asus RT-AC1900P router, file copies between 2 hardwired PCs get 650Mbps thruput. While file copy is happening, running Speedtest, I get 120Mbps to the WAN.

This performance degradation is not acceptable to me...

However, in testing the GS108Tv2 for VoIP Vlan and general thruput performance, I have learned that this switch performance is rather poor.

I have found that the thruput from one hardwired PC to another (on VLAN20) on a file copy with no other traffic thru the switch, is only 93Mbps (using Netmeter). Doing Speedtest (also from VLAN20) whether the file copy is active on not, I only realize 60Mbps LAN to WAN.

Something isn't right with your config then - the GS108T is non-blocking and full speed on all ports - and in my experience, using iperf3, I see consistent performance across ports and VLAN between 920-950 Mbps, which is consistent with a gigabit switch.

Why then does Netgear spec the LAN to WAN speed around 250 Mbps? I have seen this spec on several switches.

Why then does Netgear spec the LAN to WAN speed around 250 Mbps? I have seen this spec on several switches.

Show me - across VLAN's or on the same LAN, performance should be the same. I use the GS108T on a few sites, no complaints...

Show me - across VLAN's or on the same LAN, performance should be the same. I use the GS108T on a few sites, no complaints...
I stand by my measurements, and Netgear tech support did the setup on my switch. I could only find the LAN - WAN thruput on the FVS318 firewall of 250Mbps. Then I found a 24port non-blocking switch with 2000Mbps thruput.
I fully understand the non-blocking aspect of switches. But Netgear is checking on the thruput performance of the GS198Tv2 with and without VLANs. Not sure if it is non-blocking if VLANs are concerned. I will post what they say.

Netgear stated that: I "should be getting not less that 500 Mbps transfer speed at least."
They want me to do more VLAN testing. I can not, since I returned the switch.

Many thanks for the update...the support team should be clear that you no longer have the switch.

The fvs318g/n is speced for wan to lan of 250Mbps. If you're trying to move vlan data to the wan at those speeds and getting only 60Mbps, you need to update the firmware on the fvs318.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!