What's new

Netgear N600 wndr3400v2 Problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ktrdsl23

New Around Here
So I'm trying to help my friends with their Netgear router. They have an N600-wndr3400v2. Basically the wifi constantly turns on and off so a computer can never stay connected to it. I can connect through ethernet without an issue. I've upgraded the firmware to 1.0.0.38 and done a factory reset. This problem continues to happen. I can watch the wifi network appear and disappear constantly in the available networks. The lights on the front (both the green 2.4ghz and blue 5ghz) flash on and off repeatedly.

Supposedly they had a power outage which is when the problem started. They called Netgear support who was able to do a remote check of the router and he said the hardware was fine and it wasn't a warranty repair and thus wanted $120 to diagnose and fix the issue. This certainly sounds like a hardware problem to me but perhaps I'm overlooking something. The tech support person from netgear said the flashing lights for the 2.4 and 5ghz was normal and don't stay enabled.

The one thing that keeps giving me pause is that when I first updated the firmware I noticed that enable wireless radio was turned off. After the firmware was updated and I ensured it was on everything worked fine for about 15-20 minutes. I then later went to update the default router password and changed the ssid the problem started up again. Since then nothing I've tried has had an impact and the wifi won't stay on for more than a few seconds.

Any thoughts on what I should try before we give up on this? Thanks.

DD-WRT might help you. Since you can brick a WNDR3400 if you don't apply it properly, having nothing to lose is a good starting point.

With DD-WRT you have to install a preliminary file before installing the final version or any update release. If you go straight to the final release you will brick it. Finding the correct release is the biggest issue with DD-WRT. Every router is different and each release is it's own little world. Some work better than others.

Myopenrouter.com might have a release for the WNDR3400V2. Read carefully. Otherwise, you'll have to look around. A v.26 is different from a V30 when reading file names. Be sure to load the right version.

Are the SSID's vanishing? Can you check with another wireless device to be sure that the wifi is in fact going away. What happens when you turn wifi on and off from the control panel in the admin page?

Some Netgear routers have solid lights on wifi activity. Some flash. I am not sure on the 3400. It could have been impacted by a power surge. But since it seems to function its hard to tell. Power surges and brown outs are disastrous for electronics.

Its not a firmware issue. The stock firmware works. Changing to open source is a test but I dont see it fixing your issue. But go ahead. Nothing to lose.

Worse case PM me and Ill see if I can get you a replacement unit.

Bob Silver
Netgear