What's new

Netgear Nighthawk AP-Bridge Link Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

enigmo

New Around Here
I'll try to keep this as simplified as possible. My current backbone setup is as follows:
CpKF6WM.jpg

The VM router is in modem mode, the R7500 is in manual access point mode (settings manually set rather than using AP mode to avoid the WAN/LAN port slowness), and the R7000 is in Bridge mode.
My issue is the R7500/R7000 wireless link. At 2.4GHz the R7000 claims it's connected at 200mbps or thereabouts, but in reality it seems much slower. And at 5GHz it will claim a 1000mbps connection, but is so unstable it's not usable. And in both cases one or both the routers need restarting maybe weekly to reconnect properly. I also know the 5GHz signal where the R7000 is situated is fine as 5g devices there and all over the house can connect to the R7500 fine. So I have a few potential solutions, but each has issues:
Replace both Nighthawks with mesh. But, from the stats I've seen, mesh units will typically give me 'only' 200-300mbps anyway, so a large expense for little or no benefit.
Go dd-wrt on the R7000 and see if that helps.
I cannot use dd-wrt on the R7500 as it's a v1, so next option is to replace with an R7800.
Or, replace the R7500 with a dedicated AP

Has anyone used a pair of Nighthawks in this way, or see a better way of doing things?

NB Needless to say at this point, if laying cable was even remotely an option, I would have, but it's not a possibility.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!