What's new

Netgear Nighthawk X4 vs 4S

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jangodog

Occasional Visitor
Hi. Just Got the X4 router and it is up and running. Speed is okay but not as fast as the TP Link ac2600 that i just trade it with. TP Link did around 85-90 MB downstairs from the router and the
Nighthawk reach 60-70 MB. Wonder if i should have kept the TP Link or get the faster Nighthawk X4S instead of the X4 i have now? Any tips on prefered channel for 2.4 and 5ghz bands would be appreciated.
Have a nice weekend.

i already replied on NG forum. Get x4s no more 2nd thought. X4 is so outdated.

Hi. Well i have installed routers three times now this week so why not four times:) Thank's for you advice:)

Also checkout the Voxel firmware. It has more functionality and performance compared to stock firmware but similar experience like stock. Just upto date packages. Also you can use apps with entware.

Install instruction on the link in his post.

You can also setup VPN

Link? I frankly never updated Any of my routers so if i'm going to do that i have to be very sure nothing goes wrong. What do you mean? Is it the original newest firmware from Netgear your talking about?

Link? I frankly never updated Any of my routers so if i'm going to do that i have to be very sure nothing goes wrong. What do you mean? Is it the original newest firmware from Netgear your talking about?
The firmware you are being pointed to is a third party firmware based on the Netgear firmware, it has many things improved and is faster, but it is not original Netgear firmware as you asked. If you feel more at home using original Netgear firmware instead, you can just log into your router and update to the latest official firmware from there as the router will do the update itself. The link on how to do this is here. The choice is yours. :)

https://kb.netgear.com/23442/How-do...he-Check-button-in-the-router-s-web-interface

Okay, Thank's guys i'll check Them out later this week:)
Updating router firmware can be very important for security, its genrally a good idea to run the latest as there are some nasty bugs that get fixed and maybe new features added too. Earlier this year a bunch of netgear routers were open to a nasty attack and had to be updated quickly, so its always worth making sure you run the latest Firmware, either Voxels or Netgears. Updating is pretty easy and people here will help you with any questions.

Well, i will make the fw update then later. How long will the X4S be offline?
Not long using either Voxels firmware or Netgears built in update its a few minutes, 5 minutes probably less tbh I have never really timed it but not long. You can see the update progress bar as its happening.

I have the x4s and am using it as an access point. Voxels firmware is significantly better than netgear. It’s incredibly fast and wifi performance is much better.

I have the x4s and am using it as an access point. Voxels firmware is significantly better than netgear. It’s incredibly fast and wifi performance is much better.
Doesn't Voxels firmware use the same drivers though that Netgear uses? Although the other package updates I imagine make things run much smoother than stock, its been a while since I used stock now, but each to their own. Some may feel happier using stock with a new router and then may update to Voxels when they feel more comfortable with the process later on. :)

What about warrenty? If i use Voxels firmware and not Netgear and something goes wrong during update?
Then update the Netgear firmware, not everyone needs thirdparty but 1.0.2.28 is the latest and most stable Stock firmware out. Voxels is based on Netgear firmware and you should be fine. If you don't like it you can go back to stock just by downloading the latest stock version and updating it

What I would recommend is updating to the latest Netgear firmware first so you get the feel of how it all works and become more confident in updating routers. The latest version closes security holes and improves on various other things, its generally advisable to keep your router updated as there are security issues which get closed in updates and some are very serious at times. Earlier in the year the R7000 and quite a few other Netgear routers had a serious security flaw than meant unless you updated to a Beta to begin which Netgear rushed out, then a full release later on your router could be attacked very easily and your security compromised. (R7800 was not one of the vulnerable ones that time)

If you router has a version lower than v1.0.2.28 update it and your router will run much better. As to Voxels maybe you can try that another time, if you are unsure. Updating to the latest Netgear stock firmware is what should be done at the very least.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!