What's new

Netgear Orbi vs two routers over a cable

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mrQQ

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

can someone please enlighten me: Netgear Orbi seems to be just two routers with WiFi backhaul connection.

Wouldn't two simple routers with a cable between them be cheaper and better, provided you have the cabling?

Also, wouldn't Orbi be hurt by issues most client devices have when roaming from one AP to another, even if its same SSID and stuff? Some of my devices just refuse to jump even if the connection becomes very bad.

can someone please enlighten me: Netgear Orbi seems to be just two routers with WiFi backhaul connection.

so to answer your question without referring to a link , the orbi is actually 3 devices not simply 2 routers

the way the orbi works is like having

router with 867M and 600M wifi ------- independent 5 gig point to point 1733M bridge ----- wireless access point with 867M and 600M

the above is totally different to just repeating one router to another

the result is you have far great coverage and throughput with the orbi system that you can achieve with any router and repeater setup in the generic form

Also, wouldn't Orbi be hurt by issues most client devices have when roaming from one AP to another, even if its same SSID and stuff? Some of my devices just refuse to jump even if the connection becomes very bad.

the orbi uses both band steering and ap steering which does help in moving clients between transmissions , this the router and repeater configuration doesnt have , however sticky clients can be a pain even for the orbi

the only real way to resolve sticky clients is to ether not have them roam between transmissions ( eg one big honking router ) or use a system the doesnt require the clients to disconnect , in this case you need what ubiquiti call zero handoff ( known in other terms by different manufactures ) , this is where the ap's are handled by a controller and as far as the client is concerned they never disconnect when within the zero handoff wlan environment

Hi,

Wouldn't two simple routers with a cable between them be cheaper and better, provided you have the cabling?

Exactly. All your observations above are spot on.

In addition, a router is still needed for most home networks anyway (which makes the Orbi a very expensive way to add an AP).

Exactly. All your observations above are spot on.

em no

if it where the case that the 2 routers had an ethernet backhaul i would agree but the op asked

Netgear Orbi seems to be just two routers with WiFi backhaul connection.

the orbi certainly not the same as 2 routers connected by wifi

i will agree if the case is that you have structured cabling the the orbi isnt the best solution

the orbi is the best solution by far for those that dont have any structured ethernet cabling and want the best whole home wifi solution

em no

if it where the case that the 2 routers had an ethernet backhaul i would agree but the op asked

the orbi certainly not the same as 2 routers connected by wifi

i will agree if the case is that you have structured cabling the the orbi isnt the best solution

the orbi is the best solution by far for those that dont have any structured ethernet cabling and want the best whole home wifi solution

Your post does not dispute anything I've said. :)

just making sure the OP understand that the orbi system is not just one router connect to another via wifi :)

just making sure the OP understand that the orbi system is not just one router connect to another via wifi :)

That's exactly what it is (except it is using dedicated radios). ;)

good god man , sometimes you are argumentative just for the sake of it

can someone please enlighten me: Netgear Orbi seems to be just two routers with WiFi backhaul connection

regarding this question the answer is NO , the orbi is not the same as 2 routers with wifi backhaul as 2 router with wifi backhaul dont and wont work in the same way as they ether use client bridging or repeating which does not make them the same at all

the title reads

Netgear Orbi vs two routers over a cable

which is different again as i agree that anything connected by ethernet is better

Pete and L&LD: knock it off.

MrQQ: Gigabit Ethernet provides the highest and most stable bandwidth, even better than Orbi's 5 GHz 4x4 802.11ac. Orbi is designed for buyers who can't or prefer not to run Ethernet cabling to the locations where they need to locate routers and/or access points.

Roaming behavior is very dependent on client behavior, as you noted. Orbi employs some methods to encourage stubborn clients to roam. These methods are not provided by connecting multiple routers together, because they are not designed to be used that way.

Some access points employ the same or similar roaming encouragement methods as Orbi.

Yes. It is prioritized over Wi-Fi.

Thanks, one last question, do they have an access point only mode like the Orbi? I've got an RT-AC3100 that does a decent job of covering my 3 story house, it is located in the kitchen on top of the cabinets, which is pretty centrally located, however, I'd like to get a bit better signal in my basement, I picked up an Orbi 3 pack at Costco, but I think it is overkill, especially for the cost, but I wanted to play with it, as the devices upstairs sometimes stay connected to my Orbi router in the kitchen, so I am looking at possibly just using 2 Unifi AC-Pro units, one mounted in the upstairs hallway and one in the basement. I have Cat6 run to my bedrooms, so I can tap off that to ceiling mount the AC-Pro upstairs. Google Wifi seems like it might be an easier install. I'd be keeping the AC3100 to do the routing for now.

Nothing is going to be better than Ethernet for backhaul.

If you're just trying to light up one spot, a simple AC1900 class extender would probably be simplest and easiest.

None of these products is guaranteed to make sticky devices reliably move.

Must ask a stupid question, the Ethernet backhaul can be sett in AP, Media Brigde Mode as usual?
Is "FastLane mode" in WIFI 5 GHz band to connect to the router kind off a backhaul in the Netgear EX7000?

Last edited:
Must ask a stupid question, the Ethernet backhaul can be sett in AP, Media Brigde Mode as usual?
Is "FastLane mode" in WIFI 5 GHz band to connect to the router kind off a backhaul in the Netgear EX7000?
I don't understand your question. Are you asking about Orbi?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!