What's new

Netgear R6800, does anyone know this router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fru

New Around Here
Hi,

this is my first post here :) I would like to buy a new router and I found the Netgear R6800 on the pricelist of my favorite store. It has a good price little above the R6400 and much cheaper than the R7000 so I wanted to know more about it, mainly because I'm planning to use open source firmware on it. To my surprise there is basicly no information about this device on the internet. No reviews, not one post in any forum. Does anyone know this mysterious router?

Costco sells the R6900 not the R6800:
https://www.costco.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-MU-MIMO-Smart-Wi-Fi-Router.product.100348087.html

Here is the data sheet for the R6800:
https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/R6800.pdf

Here are some Netgear support pages for the R6800:
http://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6800
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r6800.aspx

Could not find a R6800 product page on the US Netgear website but found some some non-US sites (UK, Germany, France, and Italy) so the R6800 may be an exported model.

Thanks for the responses, I'm sorry I don't know what costco is, I'm from Europe and a lot of stores are selling the R6800 the price is 25 percent cheaper than the R7000. I think it will be hard to find any open source support for it whitout knowing whats inside. Probably I'm better off if I stick with a world wide product like the R7000 or R7800.

It looks pretty new. All the docs were created in December 2016 or January 2017.

The wikidevi suggests that it's probably the same as the R6700v2 and R6900v2. This is supported by this firmware drop where all 3 images are identical.

Hi all, please know someone information about this router?

In my country (czech) I want buy one of these two routers netgear:
1) NETGEAR WiFi Router AC1900 R6800 R6800-100PES -> 126 EURO
2) NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart R7000P-100PES -> 186 EURO

I know that second is liiiiitle better, maybe, but price is very different and I not know if is really better pay so many more, between these two routers.

...now I have many years EDIMAX BR-6574N :D so any new will be mooore better. I only want have for my money best (price/specs). Can someone give tip please thanks :)

Hi all, please know someone information about this router?

In my country (czech) I want buy one of these two routers netgear:
1) NETGEAR WiFi Router AC1900 R6800 R6800-100PES -> 126 EURO
2) NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart R7000P-100PES -> 186 EURO

I know that second is liiiiitle better, maybe, but price is very different and I not know if is really better pay so many more, between these two routers.

...now I have many years EDIMAX BR-6574N :D so any new will be mooore better. I only want have for my money best (price/specs). Can someone give tip please thanks :)

or what about this router: NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S R7800-100PES -> 206 EURO
cost this router for give more bucks for this nighthawk x4s router versus my previous two routers? I mean versus R6800,R7000P

Anyone who give some tips big thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

this is my first post here :) I would like to buy a new router and I found the Netgear R6800 on the pricelist of my favorite store. It has a good price little above the R6400 and much cheaper than the R7000 so I wanted to know more about it, mainly because I'm planning to use open source firmware on it. To my surprise there is basicly no information about this device on the internet. No reviews, not one post in any forum. Does anyone know this mysterious router?
I helped beta that test that router, for your needs it will be just fine. its a powerful router just without some of the frills of its bigger brothers but tbh I don't think you really would notice much of difference, unless you were going R7800 and above and even then most people will be fine with a AC1900 router. Its available for sale in the UK. here's its specs

http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R6800.aspx#tab-techspecs

or what about this router: NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S R7800-100PES -> 210 EURO
cost this router for give more bucks for this nighthawk x4s router versus my previous two routers? I mean versus R6800,R7000P

Anyone who give some tips big thanks.

You could buy the CZ Open-Source "Turris Omnia" router. :)

Ye its true. Turris is ok :)
But cost really many in czech :/ lower version with 1GB ram cost around 7000/7500 czech krounds, it's +- 270 euro
And higher version with 2GB ram cost about +- 50/75 euro more.

Today few hours back I order one NETGEAR Nighthawk X4S R7800 :) .. for 5400 czech krounds (+- 206 euro).

Thats a good buy, its a very good router i also have one (velmi dobrý router).

Hi, ye now I install router and with my optical viber its show me (via speedtest.net) download around 530Mbps and upload around 440Mbps (and this is when we have turn on smart tv, plus nas and some other small things) :cool:
30c8zv8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses, I'm sorry I don't know what costco is, I'm from Europe and a lot of stores are selling the R6800 the price is 25 percent cheaper than the R7000. I think it will be hard to find any open source support for it whitout knowing whats inside. Probably I'm better off if I stick with a world wide product like the R7000 or R7800.

There's an entry for it in Wikidev (https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R6800), which shows a MediaTek CPU. So you're right, you're much more likely to find third-party firmware for an R7000 or R7800.

Wikidev says R6700 uses Broadcom CPU, so it's more likely to find third-party firmware for that one than the R6800.

Last edited:
I just set up this router yesterday, it has MU-MIMO and Airtime fairness options, but from i understand some chipsets and firmwares dont handle MU-MIMO very well, is there any plans to test R6700V2, a ton of people bought his router on Amazon Prime day, and im interested to see how it performs. On the outer box there are not markings or stickers for V2, its only when you open the box do you see you received a V2, which is really annoying.
On the sticker, its shows 01R10, which i take means V2

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!