What's new

Netgear R7800-X4S Firmware 1.0.2.60

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Interesting i have been up since release no drops here that i know of. On .58 it dropped very noticeably. I am not having the wild ping spikes either like .58. I need more time to test as it has been a busy weekend so far.

Interesting i have been up since release no drops here that i know of. On .58 it dropped very noticeably. I am not having the wild ping spikes either like .58. I need more time to test as it has been a busy weekend so far.

Its seems to have been doing it every few min for a second and come back up right away but it was enough to knock off my firetv, laptop, and cell phone. Laptop has an intel 9260 card. Instead of me staring at the wifi signal. I would open up the wifi status and leave the window open and if it closed out I lost signal. Only changes I really made were enable ht160 and ipv6 auto config in router. The older build has no issues for me and signal seems to be more powerful and stable. Not sure what they did in build .58 and .60 but wifi for me still has issues.

The Release Note does not mention the biggest changes with this FW:
- Added support for Funjsq (VPN service for China).
- Added ipset

Also could you put 1.0.2.60 firmware in title so others might see in case they are just skipping over this thread.

Done..

The Release Note does not mention the biggest changes with this FW:
- Added support for Funjsq (VPN service for China).
- Added ipset

Did you look at the GPL for .60. If so do you see any changes from .58 with wifi ? Netgears change log is the worst.

Done..
Did you look at the GPL for .60. If so do you see any changes from .58 with wifi ? Netgears change log is the worst.
No, the GPL is not published yet.

Just did a compare of the FW directories. There are not many changes. Almost all of them for this Chinese VPN.
There has been an earlier release (.54) of the Funjsq, but only in China. So maybe this release is a mistake by NG?

There are some very minor GUI bug fixes, but I didn't find anything that should enhance wifi behaviour.

Also there is a change that may cause previous patches to enable option 60 and 61 to stop working.

I just do these new FW checks to see if my add-ons are affected in some way.

Last edited:
Thanks kamoj. So it appears TimmyTwoTimes may be correct the wifi stability issue has not been fixed. I just have had no time to sit down here and run a bunch of trouble shooting to find out.

It's sad the way Netgear is doing there firmware. I may just reinstall my Asus AC3100 till this whole mess is worked out. o_O Asus does for sure have much better support for there routers. To bad i love the R7800. :(

Thanks kamoj. So it appears TimmyTwoTimes may be correct the wifi stability issue has not been fixed. I just have had no time to sit down here and run a bunch of trouble shooting to find out.

It's sad the way Netgear is doing there firmware. I may just reinstall my Asus AC3100 till this whole mess is worked out. o_O Asus does for sure have much better support for there routers. To bad i love the R7800. :(
I understand you. I don't understand why their release notes are so bad.
It's like they don't know what they are releasing.

Just a question; Have you tried Voxel's FW for the R7800?
I'm just curious, not judging. I do test and try much, and Voxel's FW V1.0.2.61SF is stable, also regarding WiFi.

I remember Voxel mentioning that Netgear outsources their firmware development now, and is for the most part no longer developed in house... That could explain the lack of any real QA.

I remember Voxel mentioning that Netgear outsources their firmware development now, and is for the most part no longer developed in house... That could explain the lack of any real QA.
Its developed in Taiwan, and I think it always has been, its just that each developer seems not to talk to the other so they don't even use the same versions of things like OpenSSL between routers.

Right...the wifi issue is still there. So 2 firmware versions that fundamentally break a major component of the router. If I had to guess their QA consisted of a 1 to 3 minute test where they might not see the packet loss. But I also notice I immediately get less 5GHz bars on my signal strength icon with .58 and .60.

What frustrates me more is I see no way to contact Netgear and let them know other than paying for
support. Until someone that is within 90 days of new purchase works with them...it may never be reported. Is that possible? that they could come out with 3 to 4 firmware versions with their 5Ghz fundamentally broken?

Guys, my testing and articles on 160 MHz bandwidth have shown the Intel AC 9260 and this router don't play well together with HT160 mode enabled. If this is the complaint, disable HT160 mode.

Both Intel and Qualcomm know about the problem, but neither will publicly admit it.

Thanks so much. No HT160 has always been disabled on 7800. I can try disabling MU-MIMO though I doubt any of my wireless devices are trying to negotiate that after being connected without it.

Guys, my testing and articles on 160 MHz bandwidth have shown the Intel AC 9260 and this router don't play well together with HT160 mode enabled. If this is the complaint, disable HT160 mode.

Both Intel and Qualcomm know about the problem, but neither will publicly admit it.

I have both enabled and the intel 9260 and zero issues until you upgrade the firmware to .58 or .60 and on both 58 and 60 the signal also seems to be weaker.

Thanks so much. No HT160 has always been disabled on 7800. I can try disabling MU-MIMO though I doubt any of my wireless devices are trying to negotiate that after being connected without it.

It definately played well with HT160 before the .58 firmware update, with consistent speeds between 800-900 Mbps down & 400-560 Mbps up when doing transfers to and from my NAS, depending on location. I used it for a few months with zero issues after Intel fixed a disconnect issue in the ProSet .50 or .60 driver update. Then the new Netgear .58 firmware update hosed 5Ghz in general regardless of client or 80/160Mhz setting.

The 9260ac doesn’t support 80+80 split bonding but does contiguous HT160 just fine (lower channels). The current issue Im pretty sure is due to a borked QCA wireless firmware which screwed up the 5Ghz radio in general.

Last edited:
Qualcomm have a patch for disconnects maybe this will be rolled into the next update, either that or the R7800 got that patch and it caused the issues of course. The XR500 has no issues like the R7800's so far, it has other issues from the house of Netgear though. <sigh> As does the XR700

Qualcomm have a patch for disconnects maybe this will be rolled into the next update, either that or the R7800 got that patch and it caused the issues of course. The XR500 has no issues like the R7800's so far, it has other issues from the house of Netgear though. <sigh> As does the XR700

Starting to think they break firmware so one has issues and goes out to buy the latest and greatest they have to offer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!