1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Netgear RAX20/RAX15 AX1800 Wi-Fi Routers

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AX Wireless' started by Internet Man, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:27 PM.

1. Internet Man

Internet Man Senior Member

This device just hit the FCC and WikiDevi has the details: https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_RAX20

Chips might be Broadcom BCM6755 for the CPU and both radios or a Qualcomm IPQ8070 + QCN50x4 like the EnGenius EWS357AP. Intel has a dual 2x2 offering but all other known devices using this claim to be AX3000 thanks to 160MHz channel bandwidth.

The RAX15 is supposedly identical but it might be feature-limited through a software change.

2. microchip

microchip Very Senior Member

I hope it's Qualcomm-based

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Why?

4. microchip

microchip Very Senior Member

Better firmware. NG routers that are Qualcomm-based have more trouble-free firmware (I guess because Qualcomm uses OpenWrt as its SDK). Their Broadcom models suffer a lot if you daily visit the NG forum full with reports about issues, sometimes major ones

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Qualcomm uses in-silicon packet processors (at least my R7800 does) instead of relying on CTF that gets disabled if you use specific features. I could be mistaken, tho

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 10:52 AM