What's new

Netgear Readyshare(DLNA) on R7800 - music files and external access via Voxel's firmware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrFrodo

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Question 1 - DLNA access to music files(FLAC, mp3 etc.)
The built-in DLNA server(called Readyshare) in R7800's latest stock firmware (v 1.0.62) does not index/give access to music files (FLAC, mp3, etc.) on HDD's connected to the R7800's USB.

Would anybody know if Voxel's excellent firmware can in some way provide DLNA access to music files (either via its built in DLNA server or via Entware DLNA servers which can be installed separately?)

Question 2 - External access outside home network to DLNA library
I currently use Bubble UPNP server(http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/) on Windows 10 to provide external access outside my home network to the DLNA library. It seems that the Bubble Upnp software is available for linux as well. Would anybody know if there is a way to obtain external access to DLNA library on the R7800 (for example by installing the buble upnp server via Entware using Voxel firmware? Or other ways?)

Thanks

Hi,

Question 1 - DLNA access to music files(FLAC, mp3 etc.)
The built-in DLNA server(called Readyshare) in R7800's latest stock firmware (v 1.0.62) does not index/give access to music files (FLAC, mp3, etc.) on HDD's connected to the R7800's USB.

Would anybody know if Voxel's excellent firmware can in some way provide DLNA access to music files (either via its built in DLNA server or via Entware DLNA servers which can be installed separately?)

Question 2 - External access outside home network to DLNA library
I currently use Bubble UPNP server(http://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/) on Windows 10 to provide external access outside my home network to the DLNA library. It seems that the Bubble Upnp software is available for linux as well. Would anybody know if there is a way to obtain external access to DLNA library on the R7800 (for example by installing the buble upnp server via Entware using Voxel firmware? Or other ways?)

Thanks

Update on Question 1:

I guess the reason why the built-in DLNA server(called Readyshare) in R7800's latest stock firmware (v 1.0.62) does not provide access to FLAC files, is that FLAC isn't officially part of the DLNA specification (https://spirespark.com/dlna/guidelines).

I guess the reason why the built-in DLNA server(called Readyshare) in R7800's latest stock firmware (v 1.0.62) does not provide access to FLAC files, is that FLAC isn't officially part of the DLNA specification
I'll check FLAC with my version a bit later.

Voxel.

I'll check FLAC with my version a bit later.

FLAC could be played back with minidlna (or ReadyDLNA; as it is named by NG). But unfortunately not with current version. I confirm that 1.0.2.70SF and versions before do not play FLAC.

But I have my internal release (no published) which is able to playback FLAC. I cannot say that I checked all kinds of FLAC files, but at least three or four FLAC files were played back w/o problems with this internal release on my Samsung TV and iPhone with VLC (not playable with 1.0.2.70SF). If you wish to try this version: contact me in P.M. Or wait for a next release.

Probably Blade would be interested too:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-68sf.57646/page-3#post-512224

Voxel.

FLAC could be played back with minidlna (or ReadyDLNA; as it is named by NG). But unfortunately not with current version. I confirm that 1.0.2.70SF and versions before do not play FLAC.

But I have my internal release (no published) which is able to playback FLAC. I cannot say that I checked all kinds of FLAC files, but at least three or four FLAC files were played back w/o problems with this internal release on my Samsung TV and iPhone with VLC (not playable with 1.0.2.70SF). If you wish to try this version: contact me in P.M. Or wait for a next release.

Probably Blade would be interested too:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/c...r-r7800-v-1-0-2-68sf.57646/page-3#post-512224

Voxel.

That is fantastic news, thanks a lot! I am still "sitting on the fence", and have not yet dared to enter the world of custom firmwares. Am a bit afraid that my wife will scream if things go bad and we lose internet for a while..But looking at all the positive feedback your firmware receives on this forum, I have decided to go for it (when the FLAC release is ready).

Am a bit afraid that my wife will scream if things go bad and we lose internet for a while..But looking at all the positive feedback your firmware receives on this forum, I have decided to go for it (when the FLAC release is ready).

Of course, your should keep your wife's nervous and mood. Peace in the family is the highest priority. But do not worry so much. You can flash my custom firmware and all your current settings will be kept. No necessary to re-configure your router. And you can revert back to the stock immediately after that. Again, not re-configuration is needed. Two-three minutes for all these operation. It is specific of my build vs other third-party firmware.

Voxel.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!