What's new

NETGEAR Spinning Off Arlo Via IPO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
netgear_arlo.jpg
Things are pretty good for NETGEAR's Arlo security cam business. So good, that the company yesterday said it plans to spin off Arlo into a separate business using an IPO.

The company said it plans to retain 80% ownership of the spinoff.

New NETGEAR recruit Matthew McRae will serve as the new company's CEO. He joined NETGEAR in Q4 last year, exiting his CTO/Head of Marketing post at flatscreen TV maker Vizio.

The spinoff brings the technology behind Arlo full circle. It was acquired with NETGEAR's purchase of Avaak's VueZone wireless IP camera system back in 2012, which NETGEAR basically rebranded. NETGEAR added some R&D to address some of VueZone's shortcomings and launched Arlo, which has obviously been a success.

NETGEAR expects the IPO to be complete in the second half of this year, pending approval of NETGEAR's board.

Full press release.

If WiFi security cameras existed in the 1950's, this is what they'd have looked like!

Neat!

This is the perfect camera for my usage, except I want local NVR recording, sigh. Anyone knows something similar with that ability? Small, battery powered, WiFi.

Haven't found a "cloud" camera yet that also supports local recording.

I'm using HikVision. They are very functional and support local recording (microSD) as well as saving to the remote location.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!