What's new

NETGEAR WNDR4000 N750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheBrandon

Occasional Visitor
Going to set it up this afternoon. First thing I am checking will be packet loss since I had mega issues with 2 E4200 losing significant packets. Secondly will be checking DHCP Reservations. Probably won't get too involved in throughput test as I am sure that will be covered on this website in better detail then I have time for. Anyone want me to check anything else?

This router uses the same Broadcom wireless radio chips as the Linksys E4200, i.e., BCM4718 & BCM4331. Their performance should be comparable. The stability of the firmware is another story. I'm running a beta TomatoUSB firmware on my E4200 and it is solid as a rock. The only drawback is that it only supports 2.4GHz for now. With the GPL release from Netgear for the N750, the 5GHz capability will soon be available in TomatoUSB for E4200. So, from a TomatoUSB or DD-WRT point of view, the two routers are more or less the same.

This router uses the same Broadcom wireless radio chips as the Linksys E4200, i.e., BCM4718 & BCM4331. Their performance should be comparable. The stability of the [Netgear specific] firmware is another story.
Chevy vs. Buick.

Any significant differences from the 3700 that are worth noting?

DHCP is holding so far. Any issues with your 3700 you would like me to try and replicate?

Hardware Version WNDR4000
Firmware Version V1.0.0.60_8.0.49
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.60_2.1.13.1

Tonight I will test VPN for consistency. I really hope this is good as everything seems outstanding as is. I will continue to monitor DHCP. The Range crushed both my E4200s in my environment. I will be shocked if we do not see the N750 beat the E4200 in every test except possibly close range. Light throughput test leaves a massive smile on my face. Setup a N610 with DDWRT firmware as bridge and was easily able to stream 45+mbps file from my server to a PS3 in my rec room a floor below and 3 rooms down from my office that has the door closed with router in it not a single hiccup. Also, when playing Socom 4 beta man everything was significantly improved then what I had been experiencing although nothing scientific there. CoD was locked in as well.

I also have been playing with the IPV6 options. Time Warner does not support this and I will be doing some reading up on this. My understanding currently is that you can tunnel IPV6to4? Not sure the real world impact but there are quite a few IPV6 options for when this goes live. I believe TimeWarner in June maybe?

Tonight I will test VPN for consistency. I really hope this is good as everything seems outstanding as is. I will continue to monitor DHCP. The Range crushed both my E4200s in my environment. I will be shocked if we do not see the N750 beat the E4200 in every test except possibly close range. Light throughput test leaves a massive smile on my face. Setup a N610 with DDWRT firmware as bridge and was easily able to stream 45+mbps file from my server to a PS3 in my rec room a floor below and 3 rooms down from my office that has the door closed with router in it not a single hiccup. Also, when playing Socom 4 beta man everything was significantly improved then what I had been experiencing although nothing scientific there. CoD was locked in as well.

I also have been playing with the IPV6 options. Time Warner does not support this and I will be doing some reading up on this. My understanding currently is that you can tunnel IPV6to4? Not sure the real world impact but there are quite a few IPV6 options for when this goes live. I believe TimeWarner in June maybe?

Last update unless I see any issues, VPN connection solid using Cisco Softphone as well as proxying to clients workstation for the last 3.5 hours. This router is a keeper! :D:D:D:D

does this wndr4000 support nat port redirection?

ie, outside port 12345 to inside port 54321

will it remember dhcp assignments (like dd-wrt) or do you get a new dhcp ip every connect or have to use manual reservation?

Going to set it up this afternoon. First thing I am checking will be packet loss since I had mega issues with 2 E4200 losing significant packets. Secondly will be checking DHCP Reservations. Probably won't get too involved in throughput test as I am sure that will be covered on this website in better detail then I have time for. Anyone want me to check anything else?
How did you get this unit? It doesn't appear to have been released.

does this wndr4000 support nat port redirection?

ie, outside port 12345 to inside port 54321

will it remember dhcp assignments (like dd-wrt) or do you get a new dhcp ip every connect or have to use manual reservation?

I will check this tonight. DHCP reservation holds. 12 clients not one issue losing the reservation. I remember this being an issue with the 3700 and have been monitoring.

How did you get this unit? It doesn't appear to have been released.

After 2 complete crap E4200 I reserved this online hoping it would be released soon. Amazon came though.

I have the E4200 and am very happy so far.
I would actually like to try a comparison test but the WNDR4000 is only available online (a Netgear rep informed me that this is because it is not officially out yet. His ETA was [end of] July given the end of June WNDR3800 ETA for the release of the WNDR3800 in the market).

I guess I can order the WNDR4000 from amazon or newegg and hope to get it and test it before my return period on the E4200 expires (in a week).
Although I don't like the added hassle of online returns (in cases where there is no store (B&M presence) to return it to).

As far as TheBrandon's performance comparison is concerned, I suspect the poor E4200 performance on his particular unit was likely due to the issues he had with his particular setup that were causing problems with his E4200.
For example I noticed a conflict with something as simple as my wireless adapter's utility software caused the E4200 to stop broadcasting wireless every day or so.
I stopped using the utility (only used it to check networks in the area which SSIDer can do too) and the E4200 has been rock solid since, not even one disconnect in weeks of online activity (even on a gambling site that reports every connection weakness as a full disconnect even while I can still browse the web).

If I do get the WNDR4000, I will report here with a performance comparison.
Too bad Tim has not reviewed the WNDR4000 yet (hint hint). ;-)

As someone noted above, the wireless radio chips are the same in these two, so any routing performance differences would be mainly due to firmware differences or, perhaps, the different CPU's (someone noted the Netgear WNDR4000 has a faster CPU than the Cisco E4200). The CPU would probably only, potentially, make a noticeable difference in cases where the unit is heavily stressed (multiple simultaneous connections, lots of concurrent wireless internet or network activity etc.).

Wndr4000

I have the WNDR4000, ita been running now for 4 days heavy use. Its flawless. No disconnects, no slow downs. Connecting at 405 MPS speed on my ASUS lapton one floor down. FIle transfers between wireless computers running at 145 mps!

DHCP Reservation - Perfect - I set up 3 macs - 3 pc's - iphone 4 - blackberry 9700 - HP wireless Printer - 3D Blue Ray Player - 3D Panasonic TV - Satellite Radio

Speed - Lightning fast as expected - 1080 p streams smooth - transfers from computer to computer about 15% faster then the WNDR3700.

Signal - Slightly better then the WBDR3700 - using SSinsider signal strength is about 5-10% stronger on both 5.0 and 2.4 with same computer in exact location

VPN passthrough - Works - no problems with company VPN connection

IPV6 - Working

I owned 2 E-4200 and returned them both. The first one was defective. The second had network slowdown as time went on. Also has disconnects and ran hot.

The CPU speed on the WNDR4000 is 650 the E-4200 is 450 FYI.
The WNDR4000 is a winner.

Charlie C

I am glad the WNDR4000 works so well for you Charlie. :)

I suspect for me, since my E4200 has been performed flawlessly (since turning off my optional Rosewill wireless utility software which caused the symptoms you had with your second E4200), that I won't see any benefit.

I may order the WNDR4000 just for kicks to compare it to my E4200, but I doubt the performance will be any better.
I would not be surprised if the performance of the two, for me, is virtually identical given the Broadcom chips are the same. If not, I guess the firmware of one has tweaks the other doesn't...
I'll post again with comparisons if I do get a WNDR4000.

Still deciding if I want to bother getting the WNDR4000 given the excellent performance (getting a great wireless signal on 2.4 GHz), reliability (in terms of maintaining wireless connections without a single dropout) and signal quality (pingtest.net results are excellent, even when using my wireless connection) of my E4200 so far.
If they sold the WNDR4000 in retail stores, I would definitely give it a shot, but having to return it to newegg may not be something I want to bother with (i.e. if it performs no better than my E4200 then I would rather keep the E4200 given the unique B&O-like looks Tim cited).

Last edited:
Cpu

NJweb with all things being equal the CPU in the WNDR4000 is 650 while the E-4200 is running at 450. That alone will make a difference in performance :)

Charlie C

NJweb with all things being equal the CPU in the WNDR4000 is 650 while the E-4200 is running at 450. That alone will make a difference in performance :)

Charlie C

Maybe, Maybe not. Lot more to take into account than the speed of the processor.

Read the SNB review of the E-4200 and through-put.

A bigger cubic inch engine does not always win the race.

I will bet once SNB reviews the wndr4000, there will not be a "vast" difference in the through-put of the E-4200,
3700 V1 and the 4000. Will see some better than others in different locations, with some edge to the 4000 when using 3 stream 5Ghz, but we are not streaming in three stream to our TVs, DVDs, etc., since there is no 3 stream support for these OEM entertainment products. Real improvements are a few generations away. Real world you will not feel or see a great difference between these 3 products, unless you are just looking for bragging rights.

Last edited:
As far as TheBrandon's performance comparison is concerned, I suspect the poor E4200 performance on his particular unit was likely due to the issues he had with his particular setup that were causing problems with his E4200.
For example I noticed a conflict with something as simple as my wireless adapter's utility software caused the E4200 to stop broadcasting wireless every day or so.

You would suspect absolutely wrong as my issues were 100% recreate able on LAN 100% of the time. I tested EVERYTHING possible with the exception of the physical lines of my ISP backbone which showed 0 issues I was having with every single one of my other routers. This included checking line in my yard, replacing adapters, testing noise inside the house, removing all splitters. Either I had 2 defective E4200 showing the exact same issues 40+ days a part purchase wise. Or every single one of my other routers are lucky.... But this thread is not about the E4200, if you love it great, enjoy it. ;)

I have the WNDR4000, ita been running now for 4 days heavy use. Its flawless. No disconnects, no slow downs. Connecting at 405 MPS speed on my ASUS lapton one floor down. FIle transfers between wireless computers running at 145 mps!

DHCP Reservation - Perfect - I set up 3 macs - 3 pc's - iphone 4 - blackberry 9700 - HP wireless Printer - 3D Blue Ray Player - 3D Panasonic TV - Satellite Radio

Speed - Lightning fast as expected - 1080 p streams smooth - transfers from computer to computer about 15% faster then the WNDR3700.

Signal - Slightly better then the WBDR3700 - using SSinsider signal strength is about 5-10% stronger on both 5.0 and 2.4 with same computer in exact location

VPN passthrough - Works - no problems with company VPN connection

IPV6 - Working

I owned 2 E-4200 and returned them both. The first one was defective. The second had network slowdown as time went on. Also has disconnects and ran hot.

The CPU speed on the WNDR4000 is 650 the E-4200 is 450 FYI.
The WNDR4000 is a winner.

Charlie C

Charlie, absolutely 0 issues period on mine after days of use. On it I have, Pioneer Kuro, Sony 46Z4100, Samsung 59D6500, 3 Windows 7 Laptops, 1 Mac, 2 PS3, 1 360, 2 Desktops, 1 Server, 1 610N, 2 Galaxy S, 1 Onkyo 3008. I imagine I am forgetting a thing or two... I have not seen a single drop or experienced 1 issue. I guess what I am saying is I bet you are going to be good to go for many days! Glad its working out for you!

I firmly believe this router sets the standard.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!