What's new

Netgear X10 R9000 advantage of the AD band?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Logi

What is the advantage of the AD band if both of my laptops do not have an AD band? Is there something else that can be used for?

Has anyone found a single 802.11ad device available on the market (outside of routers)?

Has anyone found a single 802.11ad device available on the market (outside of routers)?
I've come across across a few laptop PCs (Asus I think) and also the ThinkPad WiGig Docking Station. But haven't come across USB or PCI adaptors yet.

Last I checked even Intel has said they won’t make any new ad supporting adapters and discontinued current ones by the end of last year, the 18265 was the last. Seems the 9260ac won’t have a 19260ac/ad counterpart then. I have seen a few Dell laptops with 17265/18260/5 adapters for wireless docking and such but overall ad hasn’t really taken off.

Source for Intel:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11829/intel-discontinues-wigig-cards-to-focus-on-vr

This is one of the reasons I used to recommend the R7800 over the R9000, as I never saw much use for ad for typical users, plus many put their routers hidden away out of sight anyway. I mean if you need link aggregation and the CPU power then it makes a little more sense to get the R9000.

Last edited:
Wireless docking station was one of the typical uses I was seeing for it, but it would imply adhoc networking, not infrastructure-based, which means it would be useless in the router itself.

I have the Killer 1550 on order and should get it in like 10 days

The Killer 1550 is nothing more than an Intel 9260 with Killer Suite, Intel mentions it on their website. It has no “ad” support by the way.

I ordered the 9260ac for $24 on eBay today to replace my 8265ac which is going into another machine. I have heard a lot about driver issues with Killer 1535 and their QoS suite came preinstalled on my Dell 7567, which some people found was causing massive DPC latency issues and audio stutter.

Last edited:
The Killer 1550 is nothing more than an Intel 9260 with Killer Suite, Intel mentions it on their website. It has no “ad” support by the way.

I ordered the 9260ac for $24 on eBay today to replace my 8265ac which is going into another machine. I have heard a lot about driver issues with Killer 1535 and their QoS suite came preinstalled on my Dell 7567, which some people found was causing massive DPC latency issues and audio stutter.
If you install the Killer with the INF driver, it has 0 issues. It's the Killer Performance Suite that's the cancer. Also, I have the Intel 9260 in my drawer collecting dust. Just like the Intel 8265, I get way less range than the Killer 1535 which I have now.

You see, I have a Nighthawk X10 and last month had an ASUS RT-AC88U. The router is located 10 feet away but in a small storage room with a wooden door and my room also has a wooden door that's 2 doors for you. With the Intel, I can barely ge 173 MBPS sometimes but very rarely it goes up to 399 MBPS, with the Killer, I connect at 866 MBPS every time and thus get my full internet speed's worth.

Weird never had such major range/performance issues with the the 8265, I only get below 500 Mbps link rate in some spots in my basement (2 Floors down) but 866 Mbps link rate on the same floor as the router, different environments I guess with differing varibles.

The 1535 is a good Qualcomm chip interestingly enough (QCNFA364A) , so basically with only the INF I assume what you installed was the standard Qualcomm Atheros driver.

However I doubt you'd see much of a difference between the 1550 vs the 9260 as they are literally the same chip. According to Anandtech the driver is pretty much the same as the standard Intel WiFi driver, the Killer suite being the real diffrenciator.

EDIT: Just looked at the Killer Driver PDF on their website, mentions the QCA Atheros & Intel standard drivers under the 1535 & 1550 as expected.

Look on page 5:
https://www.killernetworking.com/dr...load&args[0]=0bb8829ab5316671df016656d3270703

Last edited:
Wireless docking station was one of the typical uses I was seeing for it, but it would imply adhoc networking, not infrastructure-based, which means it would be useless in the router itself.

I would agree - there are good uses for 60GHz - even in Networking... Point to Point bridging is one, but that has to be in free space... keep in mind that a piece of paper will block 60GHz for all practical purposes.

I can see why folks are interested in 11ad - as it does have the 802.11 MAC structure, so moving to and from is possible (however unlikely)

Outside of 11ad - seeing it used for sensors - for VR and Robotics, mainly due to the short wavelengths involved - and if one has gone thru a TSA checkpoint recently in the US airports, yep, same frequencies...

AD is a waste. This router is a faster version of the r7800. If you need more power than the 7800, this is a great AC2600 router. If only it has the Synology UI....

Last I checked even Intel has said they won’t make any new ad supporting adapters and discontinued current ones by the end of last year, the 18265 was the last. Seems the 9260ac won’t have a 19260ac/ad counterpart then. I have seen a few Dell laptops with 17265/18260/5 adapters for wireless docking and such but overall ad hasn’t really taken off.

Source for Intel:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11829/intel-discontinues-wigig-cards-to-focus-on-vr

This is one of the reasons I used to recommend the R7800 over the R9000, as I never saw much use for ad for typical users, plus many put their routers hidden away out of sight anyway. I mean if you need link aggregation and the CPU power then it makes a little more sense to get the R9000.

I understand a next generation of wigig with some more range and throughput should be around the corner but not here yet.

The current .ad just didn't get very popular I guess. Not enough range for proper wifi (while few suffer from 4x4 5G wifi capping their broadband speed); not so much throughput when considered for docking in the era of 4K displays and VR. Not enough practical advantage over an USB3 cable ;)

Dell has (had?) a wigig dock too, with some Latitudes having the Intel wigig client option. For a wire-free experience, wireless charging should be included, which could only work with low-powered laptops.

I don't think upgrading to .ad would be so difficult. The recent Intel cards are standard 2230 size. One must also install the additional (small) antenna module, to a place where it isn't shielded.

understand a next generation of wigig with some more range and throughput should be around the corner but not here yet.

Throughput maybe - but no more range - range is limited by the basic physics of 60GHz...

I share the scepticism, also because I see beamforming being advertized for range extension which practice doesn't seem to be confirming... But this is what the IEEE freemasonry is promising,
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8088544/
http://www.gigabit-wireless.com/gig...11ay-wireless-technology-next-gen-60ghz-wifi/

60Ghz is blocked by a single page of paper...

So in reality, beamforming and other magic - it's limited to the room that it's in...

Nice tech, and 11ad/11ac/n interworking, but seriously, it has a lot of limits.

Also interesting to note - there has been some simplification of 11ad...

The OFDM PHY has been deprecated, as the LP PHY is optional - which means basically the Control and Single Carrier PHY's are what is available... I can understand why the OFDM PHY has been considered obsolete in that band - SC is more than enough for blasting bits...

Beam forming is inherent in 11ad - and much simplified over 11ac/11n...

More info here -- https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/d...ation_notes/1ma220/1MA220_3e_WLAN_11ad_WP.pdf

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!