What's new

Network Build: VLANs, Shared Internet, Bandwidth Usage History

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NoClueToo

New Around Here
Hello All,

Happy to have discovered SNB - extremely useful.

I'm trying to create a network with some specific functionality in an apartment building where I provide internet:

The goal: have 3 (wireless & wired) networks that don't see each other, share one internet connection and whose bandwidth consumption can be monitored (to identify those who go over bandwidth limits). VOIP prioritization would be gravy.

What I believe I need to do:
- 3 VLANs (one per apartment)
- the 3 VLANs will each have a WAP/switch connected with a unique SSID
- Possibly 1 additional VLAN to prioritize VOIP traffic

I've asked this question elsewhere and have received a range of answers. I've concluded I need a managed/smart switch and... router / DHCP functionality. Bandwidth monitoring sounds like it can be done either at the switch or via a "Security Appliance". At this point my brain starts trying to flee.

(Other info: 30mbs internet, probably 4 machines per VLAN on average. Standard internet usage - games, surfing, etc.)

What would you suggest to create the above network so that it is easily managed and reasonably affordable?

Thanks for any suggestions. If you'd like more info about anything, please let me know.

Cheers,

NoClueToo

If you need strong bandwith monitoring and control it definetly shall be appliance with software like Kerio Kontrol.

But if you need very basic functionality then in can be done with SOHO/SMB router like Drytek Vigor 3300 or Netgear SRX5308.

Regard switches - the best way to choose your solution is to take one from the same vendor that router. Like Netgear GS716 (or 724) or Drytek VigorSwitch G2240.

Then you can build your schema as you like.

But I don't understand why do you need to have three switches? Is it possible to build as many cables to each appartment as needed? If it's possible than you shall do this, because increasing quantity of devices in a network isn't good solution.

But first of all I think you have to create a scheme of future network.

Hi Tchr,

Thanks for the reply. The 3 switches was to use cheaply available hardware to provide 3 distinct Wireless Access Points. (Basically, 3 wireless routers running as switches, not routers).

I'm really not sure if my needs qualify as "strong bandwidth monitoring". Daily usage rates of the WAN by each VLAN seemed very simple to me - it's just proving to be rather tricky ;)

Thanks again for the reply and the hardware suggestions - I'll look into them to see if they'll work.

Cheers,

grayden

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!