What's new

Network Configuration with Merlin & YazFi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

exergist

New Around Here
Per the suggestion of a senior member of the forum, I'm reposting my question here in the hopes that the content is more relevant to this forum category.

---

I have a somewhat odd network configuration that I'm hoping the wizards here can help me get working as I need.

Here are my requirements:
  1. I need to be able to remotely (within my house) enable & disable the wifi network. I want this to happen without exposing my router to the internet via something like Alexa or IFTTT.
  2. When the wifi is disabled I need the wired network to still be connected and reach the internet.
  3. At least two guest wireless networks (one for actual guests and one for IoT devices) that are isolated from each other, my LAN devices, and my personal wifi networks.
  4. Everything (possibly excluding the guest networks if it isn't feasible) leverages PiHole running on a raspberry pi.
Here is my current setup:
  • Modem is connected to Asus RT-AC86U
  • PiHole pi is connected to AC86U and powered via its USB port
  • AC86U is connected to a semi-managed switch (TP-Link TL-SG108E)
  • Switch is attached to other stuff, including an Asus RT-AX86U operating as an access point
  • The AC86U is powered via an outlet plug that can be controlled with a wireless remote
  • Both routers are running Merlin firmware and the AX86U also has YazFi.
Basically the AC86U is the primary router and the AX86U serves up the wifi as an access point, and the AX86U can be turned off with the wireless controller at will. With this setup I'm currently meeting Requirements 1, 2, and 4. Unfortunately I don't know how to meet them all (YazFi appears to work only if the router it's installed on is acting as a router and not an access point, and I don't know how to properly configure two routers on the same LAN).

Is what I'm after possible with the hardware I mentioned? Any thoughts and feedback would be most appreciated!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!