What's new

Network Disruption With External Switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taddeusz

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC1900 router. The only thing hooked to it other than the cable modem is a 16 port switch. Why then, would the entire network be disrupted when I do a firmware upgrade or just reboot the router? This makes no sense to me since according to the rest of the greater network it is a peripheral device unless it is sending out some sort of broadcast message.

Any ideas?

It's because you've rebooted the router which is the Gateway and routes all the traffic on the network.

It's because you've rebooted the router which is the Gateway and routes all the traffic on the network.

But it doesn't. No devices go through the router other than the switch. The only traffic going through the router itself should be wireless and internet bound traffic from the wired network. Switches are smart enough to route traffic to only the intended destination. That's why this confuses me.

But it doesn't. No devices go through the router other than the switch. The only traffic going through the router itself should be wireless and internet bound traffic from the wired network. Switches are smart enough to route traffic to only the intended destination. That's why this confuses me.

What switch is it?

If the client cannot communicate with e the dhcp server you have a network with no subnet description.

The switch is layer 2 the router is layer 3.

Sorry is this a managed switch?

On a mac address level you are probably still in theory connected but at layer 3 thr outing layer you lose that when you remove the router from the situation due to miss-config or reboot.

It is likely a smart switch. If you disconnect the uplink the switch should allow traffic between devices on the network.