What's new

Network Help Please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hedly

Regular Contributor
Hey all,
So a few months ago I posted this post:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/microtik-edgerouter-or-something-else.45679/#post-398885

The thread (as so many do on all forums) kind of morphed into a discussion beyond the help I needed. But the parties in that discussion have helped me numerous times so I let it go...especially when I thought I had a fix.

Well, now I get better wireless coverage, but now when I watch hi-definition movies on the HTPC from our server (either hi-def home videos or ripped blu-rays that I own) they stutter. I.e. at random points the movie pauses.

For a visual; here is the original network that had no issues watching hi-def movies:
Network-old.GIF

here is how the network is now:
Network-Current.GIF

I believe that the issue is using the TP-Link router as a switch to the HTPC. Originally you can see that I had the HTPC directly connected to the main switch.

And no, I can't run another cable from the D-Link to the HTPC. There is literally not enough room in the pipe I installed between the office and the living room. That's why I have the switch...hidden behind the entertainment center.

The way I see it is there are three options
1) Go back to the original configuration and deal with not getting WIFI in some of the back bedrooms
2) Go back to the original configuration, turn the TPLink wifi off, and add an access point in the living room. I'd probably have to upgrade the AirLink switch and get a gigabit router (if I wanted to keep the TV, receiver, and Blu-ray connected to the net which I kinda want to do to get firmware updates to those components)
3) Keep the TPLink where it is, turn it in to an access point and then buy a new, wired, router. Like the below:
Network-next.jpg

#1 is out because the wife had gotten used to the better wifi coverage.

I'm leaning towards #3 mainly because it makes future upgrades to the system a little easier
if I go this route, I'm opening up my budget for a new router to around $200.

So, what do you think
#2 or #3

if #3, then what router?
- I'd prefer plug and play, but I'm open to other options

Thanks in advance,

Your "current" diagram has 5 local devices plus an uplink connected to the 1750 but it only has 4 LAN ports. Something isn't quite right there.

Other than that, there is no obvious issue with your current configuration assuming that it's cabled and connected properly with the Pace connected to the WAN uplink port on the 1750 and all the cables rated at the appropriate speeds.

There is a lot to be said for going back to something that works rather than working from a starting point that's not working so I'd move the 1750 back, check that it works, change out the Airink switch for a new 8 port unmanaged GB switch, check that it works, add a new access point off the new switch, and confirms that it works. You need 5 wired switch ports in the living room so you need a switch there. But that's me.

Your "current" diagram has 5 local devices plus an uplink connected to the 1750 but it only has 4 LAN ports. Something isn't quite right there.

Other than that, there is no obvious issue with your current configuration assuming that it's cabled and connected properly with the Pace connected to the WAN uplink port on the 1750 and all the cables rated at the appropriate speeds.

There is a lot to be said for going back to something that works rather than working from a starting point that's not working so I'd move the 1750 back, check that it works, change out the Airink switch for a new 8 port unmanaged GB switch, check that it works, add a new access point off the new switch, and confirms that it works. You need 5 wired switch ports in the living room so you need a switch there. But that's me.

Oh yeah, I think you're right. I think I disconnected the receiver or TV (I'm at work and can't check, but I vaguely remember making that decision). I don't use the built in streaming services on the components since I have a full HTPC which is why I didn't really care about them being on a 100Mbs switch. I had hoped that the extra hop between the HTPC and the server wouldn't be an issue.

For troubleshooting, going back to the original setup certainly would be smart step. Hopefully the wife will be understanding if she gets mediocre connectivity in the furthest bedroom.

Anyone else have some input, tips, guidance?

Upon the recommendation by @tannebil I put my network back to the original configuration.

Here I am watching blu-ray's and home videos without a hitch.

So I guess there's an issue going Server --->DLink Switch ---> TPLink (router) ---> HTPC
Now it's just Server --->DLink Switch ---> HTPC

But at the expense of WiFi at the back bedroom (I just used wifi analyzer to confirm a 30dB loss in 2.5GHz and almost 40dB loss at 5GHz. The signal has a little longer to go but 2 additional walls to go through to get to the bedrooms.

So if I want to get better wifi coverage, then I see 2 options
a) Use #3 above: buy a wired router, then use my current TPLink as an access point and switch for the AV components. but keep the HTPC mainlined to my primary switch.
- I figure I could get a decent router for $50 - $200
- I've been eyeing the new Edgrouter 4; but if there's a ready-out-of-the-box solution I'm open to suggestions

b) Keep the current configuration (first image above), buy a new, gig switch to replace the AirLink and buy a new AccessPoint
- 8-port gigabyte switch ~$40
- TP-Link AC1750 (EAP245) $80

So the cost is about the same (or at least my $200 threshold).

So, what says the gallery?
A, B, or some other option?

Well, I know what area not to post questions in...or maybe my writing was just too long.

Anyway, I ended up going with option B. Ended up talking to the wife who has no computer expertise. But she thought option B was better. A little less expensive and also less time consuming (assuming that I got a router that needed programming like an Edgerouter or Microtik).

Went to the local big computer store and got an 8 Port TP-link router for $30 and got the EAP245 for $80.

It's all set up and we have good connectivity to all parts of the house.

One last comment (to myself and any others who might be mulling something similar). With this update to our network, I am finding that web pages are loading much quicker..on my wired computer. We only have ATT 5Mbps connection. But since the change things just feel snappier. I think it's because there's less traffic going through the router.

Glade you got it working. I run a Cisco 8 port switch with 2 VLANs at my entertainment center with no problems. There is a Cisco wireless WAP also off my entertainment center.

Arris SB8200 modem->Cisco router->Cisco layer 3 switch->Cisco 8 port switch
-----------------------------------------------------------------> Cisco POE+ wireless switch