What's new

Network MAP Client Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jprez1980

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm running Merlin Build 3.0.0.4.220.18 which has been very rock solid. I recently had to configure OpenVPN (TAP) and needed to block DHCP requests from occuring across the tunnel. I created a firewall-start script and I can confirm that it is launching and running correctly (ebtables -L shows the proper rules).

My question is - even with the rules being applied, I see client computers on the other end displayed in the Network Map. I'm not sure how to interpret the network map client information.....is this DHCP lease data meaning that these machines are still getting a DHCP lease from within the tunnel or does the network map simply display devices that are detected via bonjour, etc?

Thanks!

Asus N66U

It tracks down ARP packets passing through the router.

Great - thanks!

I was suspecting that was the case but could never confirm. I couldn't locate where the DHCP client lease file is stored (was going to peek there to see if the device was still allocating IPs across the tunnel) but based on the map detecting ARP traffic that would explain it.

:D