What's new

"Network Newbie" requesting info

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smallbiznewbie

New Around Here
Hello,

I am new here and new to networking, so let me apologize upfront for being clueless. I have found myself thrown in the situation of immediately having to connect a new office to our home office and do not even know where to start.

At the 'away" office, there will be:
4 computers that must be networked via ethernet
The 4 computers should have individual passwords to access data & save
Each computer needs to be able to have their own files & folders on their system, yet be able to access other folders in "approved" folders for general use (i.e., the secretary "pulls" a file from an "approved" folder out of the general use file system after the owner puts it there, works on it and "puts it back" in general use area for review, etc)

At the home office:
I need to be able to access remotely the files and folders from the office.

Mobile:
3 people need to be able to access any file, from either office or home location

Other office connections:

There will be up to 5 additional cvomputers connected to the DSL/phone system at the office location but they will NOT be allowed access to the networked system.

Backup & storage: yes

Can anyone give me some advice as to where to start with this?

I know I will need a network guy but I would like a working knowledge myself too. I don't know how to even "interview" a network pro, what to look for, or how to make sure I am choosing wisely.

Thank you!

Look into QNAP or Synology Servers, for Folder structuring and Permissions.
QNAP does have a few Apps that allow a specific User to access Folders & Files - presuming all Users are utilizing IOS devices.