What's new

Network scanner app recommendations for Windows and Android

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rhodesengr

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I am looking for current network scanner apps; apps that can see connected wifi devices and show their IP. I want to have one on my windows laptop and one on my Android phone (Pixel 6). I see a lot of them out there. I am working with a wifi module called Wifilogger that installs in a weather station console. It connects wirelessly to a local wifi network and uploads data to places like Weather Underground. I am looking for apps that can see that the Wifilogger is connected and report it's IP address.

I have done a test install on my home network and was able to find it's IP by logging into my router. However, I need to move the system to a different network and I may not be able to get into the other systems router. The problem I ran into is that the device's initial access point is set to 192.168.4.1 while my Xfinity router uses a totally different subnet 10.0.0.1. So after the devices grabs an IP, the setup screen disappears and I can't readout the acquired IP. Maybe the routers on the other system use the 192.168 subnet but maybe not. Just want to be prepared.

This one is good, for Windows:

I think he wants an IP scanner for the LAN (so he can discover the new IP address) rather than a WiFi AP monitor.

There's any number of IP scanners available, just Google and pick one. Here's one:

Here's another:

On Android there are apps like Network Analyzer.

Last edited:
I think he wants an IP scanner for the LAN (so he can discover the new IP address) rather than a WiFi AP monitor.

There's any number of IP scanners available, just Google and pick one. Here's one:

Here's another:

On Android there are apps like Network Analyzer.

Yes, exactly. I tired Angry IP on my laptop and while it sees the connection, it doesn't find a recognizable name. I also have now tried Fing on my phone and that seems to work better. It does find the device name.

Yes, exactly. I tired Angry IP on my laptop and while it sees the connection, it doesn't find a recognizable name.
Try Advanced IP Scanner. I find it much better. When scanning a new network remember to go into Options > Misc > Clear scan history Delete stored data before starting.

Last edited:
Advanced IP scanner does the trick. It shows the Mac Address which I don't see in AngryIP. Since I know the Mac address of my device, i can find it that way. Thanks.

I just tried Network Analyzer Android app. That one shows the name very clearly and MAC. Not sure why none of the Windows apps seem to find the name.

I just tried Network Analyzer Android app. That one shows the name very clearly and MAC. Not sure why none of the Windows apps seem to find the name.
They both display the names for me. Perhaps your Windows machine doesn't have it's DNS setup correctly. The apps are just doing a simple reverse lookup on the IP address.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
some devices get their names picked up and some not. Keep in mind, my device is a small volume, narrow focus wifi accessory. It may not have its name info in place where some software can find it. I really don't know and I am certainly not any kind if wifi/internet expert. Just reporting what I see with this particular device.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!