What's new

Network Security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

louwaydon

Occasional Visitor
Will a software firewall be able to prevent hackers from hacking your network? Will it also help in providing website security? We're looking for an application that would work as a security for website, networks and all our web apps. Is there a software that could cover all these requirements? Thanks.

Hi!

There is no such thing as an absolute guarantee. But a firewall is an absolute must, just as the lock on your front door. As your question is very broad, it is quite hard to point you in the right direction, can you be a bit more specific on what you your current situation is and what you would like to achieve?

Firewalls help quite a bit - NAT is a firewall afterall - SPI adds to that

Client firewalls help out even more - and there - Windows/MacOS have options

This will get most thru safely, actually...

Then we have the client side - and there are network options that can help - too many to explain, but generally items like what AsusWRT includes via Trend Micro can help - and we have Snort/Suricata solutions for folks like me that run pfSense...

Local Antivirus - Windows Defender, while it being free, is actually quite good - MacOS has similar low-level stuff

But the best/real defense is the people between the keyboard and the chair - as this is the target vector - be careful on clicking links and attachments in email - try not to run Flash and/or Java (if you must, keep them up to date) - and keep the OS level stuff also current.

From the router side - best advice here - a) keep the firmware current, and b) don't expose services...

Will a software firewall be able to prevent hackers from hacking your network? Will it also help in providing website security? We're looking for an application that would work as a security for website, networks and all our web apps. Is there a software that could cover all these requirements? Thanks.

A firewall software can be helpful to prevent viruses and hackers from accessing a particular system. I think, you need to consider a web application security with scanning and firewall solution. It will enable you to protect your data from web attacks and fraud.

No amount of firewall can secure your system, everyday hackers find new ways on how to hack a system, it's like a challenge for them.

No amount of firewall can secure your system, everyday hackers find new ways on how to hack a system, it's like a challenge for them.

No doubt - note the Gmail phishing thing that happened last week... lot of people got caught by that one...

Generally though - defense in depth is always best...

It is a never ending game i guess, i would want to know more about this. As far as my knowledge goes a vpn helps. But how far is it solely true. I mean is vpn the only solution.

Actually - a VPN, while a useful tool, doesn't help that much - human factors - the person between the screen and keyboard is much more important here...

For securing our web applications, we're thinking of getting a solution from Beyond Trust that lets us scan for vulnerabilities. Anyone knows if solutions like this are reliable?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!