What's new

Network Tools=>Network Analysis Interface option missing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ajeesh_m

Occasional Visitor
I am a big fan of the Merlin firmware. However there is one option I am missing in the firmware (Which is available in ASUS-RT firmware).
When we navigate to Network Tools=>Network Analysis, We have the option to test ping (and more) for any targets.
However, In ASUS-RT I see that we can choose between Primary and Secondart WAN. This is highly helpful to see which ISP is better in terms of latency to specific sites.

I have tried multiple versions of Mrelin and looks like this option is dropped in all of those.
Will it be added by any chance ?

---Ajeesh

Attachments

• Network_Tools_Network_Analysis.png
    Network_Tools_Network_Analysis.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 147
I am a big fan of the Merlin firmware. However there is one option I am missing in the firmware (Which is available in ASUS-RT firmware).
When we navigate to Network Tools=>Network Analysis, We have the option to test ping (and more) for any targets.
However, In ASUS-RT I see that we can choose between Primary and Secondart WAN. This is highly helpful to see which ISP is better in terms of latency to specific sites.

I have tried multiple versions of Mrelin and looks like this option is dropped in all of those.

---Ajeesh
Can you remove "release" tag as you don't release anything. Thanks

---Ajeesh
Network Tools on the stock firmware is only available in their ROG models, and is a different implementation from Network Analysis. I didn't drop any feature, what you are looking for is simply not available in Network Tools.

You can use SSH to achieve it:

Primary
Code:
ping -c 5 -I `nvram get wan0_gw_ifname` www.google.com

Secondart
Code:
ping -c 5 -I `nvram get wan1_gw_ifname` www.google.com

Network Tools on the stock firmware is only available in their ROG models, and is a different implementation from Network Analysis. I didn't drop any feature, what you are looking for is simply not available in Network Tools.
My router is RT-AX88u and this feature is there on the stock firmware.
It was there for my old AC59u as well.

You can use SSH to achieve it:

Primary
Code:
ping -c 5 -I `nvram get wan0_gw_ifname` www.google.com

Secondart
Code:
ping -c 5 -I `nvram get wan1_gw_ifname` www.google.com
Wow, Wonderful. Firing up the merlin firmware now.
Thanks a billion.....

My router is RT-AX88u and this feature is there on the stock firmware.
It was there for my old AC59u as well.
As I said, this was only part of Network Analysis. My firmware uses the ROG Netools instead, which adds many new features, but does not support selecting the interface.

Yes. Once the work from home started.
How does that solution look like btw? One fiber cable to your home with a fiber converter and there split work/home with two subscriptions?

Last edited:
How does that solution look like btw? One fiber cable to your home with a fiber converter and there split work/home with two subscriptions?
This is what I have setup.

Primary WAN : Airtel 200 mbps.
It terminates at a Nokia fiber Modem+Wifi router.
I disabled the wifi and most of the stuff on it and configured it in bridged mode.
Connected the Lan4 (Bridged Mode) to the Wan 1 of AX88u. And tagged the vlan (of Airtel) on AX88u
I was able to set the PPPOE credentials on AX88u.

Secondary WAN : Act Fibernet 50 mbps.
This is a regular RJ45 direct to my home. Connected it to WAN 2 (Lan 1). PPPOE credentials set on AX88u.

Dual WAN
Enabled load balance mode with 3:1 ratio

Some confusion here - the OP [ @ajeesh_m ] provides a screen grab of an RT-AX88U running stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_46065 which clearly provides a drop down selection between Primary and Secondary WAN under its webui page "Network Tools - Network Analysis". He then says that under your firmware - no such option to select between WAN's exists ... and simply appeals for that stock feature to be carried through to your Merlin releases.

I don't use dual WAN and I don't have a RT-AX88U - but for those who do - I can see that this feature would indeed be useful.
If the OP is correct - then it seems you have dropped this feature?

Some confusion here - the OP [ @ajeesh_m ] provides a screen grab of an RT-AX88U running stock firmware 3.0.0.4.386_46065 which clearly provides a drop down selection between Primary and Secondary WAN under its webui page "Network Tools - Network Analysis". He then says that under your firmware - no such option to select between WAN's exists ... and simply appeals for that stock feature to be carried through to your Merlin releases.

I don't use dual WAN and I don't have a RT-AX88U - but for those who do - I can see that this feature would indeed be useful.
If the OP is correct - then it seems you have dropped this feature?

he has already answered:
As I said, this was only part of Network Analysis. My firmware uses the ROG Netools instead, which adds many new features, but does not support selecting the interface.

he has already answered:

and still missed the boat - maybe he has ROG Netools in mind ... which is not what the OP was referring to.
The OP was entirely correct in his first time ever post on these forums ... and was in no way being critical - so a defensive and confusing first response from the Maestro was not particularly welcoming or helpful.

Many thanks to you for providing a welcome solution which enabled the OP to return to Merlinware and still monitor his Dual WAN setup. {Thumbs-Up}.

Last edited:
and still missed the boat - maybe he has ROG Netools in mind ... which is not what the OP was referring too.
The OP was entirely correct in his first time ever post on these forums ... and was in no way being critical - so a defensive and confusing first response from the Maestro was not particularly welcoming or helpful.
I apologize, I just wanted to remind you of that reply you missed, this is all.