What's new

Network Topology Help/Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

user132457689

New Around Here
Hi All,

I'm about to start a journey on hardwiring the upstairs with ethernet drops using a central vacuum system that came with the house, and has never been used. My question is, does anything in my topology (attached) seem wrong, or improper? Do you have any advice for me on this? Solid Lines are hardwired, dashes are wifi.

Also, I live in an area where lightning hardly ever happens, so I'm not too worried about grounding my direct burial ethernet to the backyard (in PVC conduit 18 inches underground), but should I do it anyway?

Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• network topology.png
    network topology.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 52
Hi All,

I'm about to start a journey on hardwiring the upstairs with ethernet drops using a central vacuum system that came with the house, and has never been used. My question is, does anything in my topology (attached) seem wrong, or improper? Do you have any advice for me on this? Solid Lines are hardwired, dashes are wifi.

Also, I live in an area where lightning hardly ever happens, so I'm not too worried about grounding my direct burial ethernet to the backyard (in PVC conduit 18 inches underground), but should I do it anyway?

Thank you so much in advance!

Nevermind the weather... follow proper wiring/grounding standards.

Assuming all Ethernet segments are within distance spec, the distances shown on your diagram might be more informative, roaming-wise, if they were AP-to-AP distances?

A layout concern I would have is routing the new, 2nd floor wiring infrastructure uplink through an/any AiMesh node... would it be better to route more directly to the (main) router?

OE

I suppose I could try that, so you're suggesting something like this? I think the max AP to AP distance would still only be 200 ft from garage to backyard.

Attachments

• net top 2.png
    net top 2.png
    92.1 KB · Views: 44
Also, for reference, here is a floor plan with that proposed topology

Attachments

• Floor Plan with Top.png
    Floor Plan with Top.png
    168.5 KB · Views: 48
for your backyard, just mount an external rated 2.4/5 Ghz AP under the balcony near the house wall. Use a POE injector inside the house to power it. Don't use a consumer wireless router outside.
If you do put networking gear in the pool house, get an electrician that works on low voltage/networking gear to make the run and proper ( meets code) installation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!