What's new

Network Upgrade Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cary1

New Around Here
Hi,

Been reading this site for years, but time to ask for some guidance. I live in a 2000 square foot single level home (long rectangle). My current setup is 250mb/s cable service into an Asus Rt68U router, into a 16 port Cisco unmanaged switch, with an ethernet backhaul to an Asus RT-66u at the far end of the house running as a WAP. I run everything I can by ethernet, which includes 4 desktops, two printers, two tvs, an intel nuc music server, and a sonos player. Running wireless are 3 iphones, 3 ipads, one sonos, two 4k tvs (can't get ethernet to them), and a couple of low use iot devices (sprinkler controller and thermostat). Occasionally there a laptop or two in there also.

As seems to be consistent, it has been two years since I last changed routers and they are starting to die. Long response times, devices can't connect, issues which are solved by a reboot for a short time, then come back. Firmware is up to date, it just seems these things die about every two years. I want something that lasts longer than that, is dead nuts reliable, and reasonably easy to use.

Looking around it seems like Ubiquiti looks like it may meet my needs. I like the cost of the AmpliFi router with one additional node, but am concerned I am looking at the same reliability. This leaves me looking at the UniFi. If I understand correctly, I would need the following for the UniFi:

• Security Gateway
  • Switch 8 60w (to run WAPs) better would be a 16 port POE, but if I understand correctly, I can keep my Cisco 16 port, it just won't show up as managed in the UniFi software.
  • Cloud Key
  • 2 AP AC Lite
My questions are: 1) will I benefit in reliability with the UniFi, 2) will I gain the long term reliability I seek, and 3) is my proposed configuration sound?

Thank you

I run my Cisco equipment for a lot longer than 2 years in my house. I usually get 5 to 10 years. And once I stop running the equipment I past it on to my daughter.

I run my Cisco equipment for a lot longer than 2 years in my house. I usually get 5 to 10 years. And once I stop running the equipment I past it on to my daughter.
Thank you. I should clarify, I am not looking to replace the switch, it is about 5 years old and just sits there and does its job perfectly.

My Cisco routers RV340 and RV320 routers just run. It is the same for my 3 Cisco WAP371 and 3 WAP321 wireless APs. They all just run 24/7.

The Cisco RV320 router and Cisco WAP321 wireless APs are old and have been passed on but they still are running.

Last edited:
After you do the factory reset and if it comes back, replace the wall wart power supply. If that helps, also make sure you have them powered by small ups systems with tight voltage regulation.

If it still comes back, then maybe they have issues. Just make sure the new ones have clean regulated power supplying them.

I ran my RT-N66 and RT-AC66 for many many years. The WiFi finally started to get wonky in them after about 5'ish years I think? The router functions were still solid and that router got moved from my house (as an AP) to my in-laws as their main router 2 years ago and it still runs trouble free there with the radios disabled since they use UniFi APs.

I am using UniFi gear for WiFi services and an x86 box for firewall and VPN duties running Sophos. The only time this gear gets rebooted is during upgrades about twice a year. For you, there isn't much reason to get a bigger switch than the 60W 8-port for only two APs. Even using PoE injectors would be fine for such a small install and just use your existing switch. I have a Cisco managed switch as my core switch with the 8-port UniFi switch connected there to power one of my APs. Two of my APs (UAP-AC-LR) are too old to be powered by the 8-port switch and are therefore still using injectors.

After you do the factory reset and if it comes back, replace the wall wart power supply. If that helps, also make sure you have them powered by small ups systems with tight voltage regulation.

If it still comes back, then maybe they have issues. Just make sure the new ones have clean regulated power supplying them.
Thanks. Have been running them off an APC UPS for years after being advised it could affect the life of the routers.

Thanks, never thought of a factory reset and then reconfigure. Duh. Software can get corrupted over time.

To do it properly and 'once', I would suggest the following M&M Config guide and other helpful links in the link in my signature below. :)

Thanks for the help. Spoke with a friend that does networking and support for high end homes and small businesses in Houston. His thoughts were that I would get annoyed with the amount of setup and configuration with the Unifi (which he loves for larger installations). He suggested two Eero Pros, with a third if needed, saying they have been very reliable for the 20 or so installs he has used them. Since he can support remotely and gave them to me at cost, I decided to give them a try.