What's new

Networked devices randomly disappearing from Home Network?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Comp625

New Around Here
This is probably a n00b question but I figured I would ask anyways. I have an Asus rt-n56u powering my home network. I have a bunch of wired & wireless devices attached to it (multiple PC's, a Macbook, smartphones, tablets, gaming consoles, etc.). I also have an 8-port Trendnet Gigabit switch for extra Ethernet ports.

However, two of my networked devices will sometimes randomly disappear from the Network -- or so I think. :confused:

Device #1: Canon MX882 AIO Wireless Printer
This printer is connected wirelessly to the network. Doing so allows any device capable of loading the appropriate printer driver to wirelessly print -- namely any PC or Macbook in the house.

Under both the Windows Vista/7 and Mac OSX environments, the printer will sometimes "disappear" from the network. In other words, the device can't see the printer. The only workaround fix is to disconnect the PC or Macbook from the network and re-connect to it. After re-establishing a link to the network, the MX882 shows up and I'm able to wirelessly print again.

I've already tried updating drivers from Canon's website and I've already fiddling around with the MX882's On-Screen Settings. However, nothing fixes an otherwise annoying problem. Do you guys know what's causing it?

Device #2: Western Digital MyBookLive 2TB Hard Drive
I have this 2TB hard drive connected via Ethernet to the 8-port Gigabit Switch, which is connected via Ethernet itself directly into the Asus rt-n56u.

It normally shows up in the "Network" section of both Windows Vista/7 and Mac OSX environments. Like the Canon MX882, the MyBookLive will sometimes "disappear" from the network with the only fix being to disconnect the Windows or Macbook device and reconnect to the network.

Again, both are seemingly simple and non-threatening issues. They are more annoying nuisances than anything. After typing this up, I have to wonder if there's some kind of "sleep" and/or "timeout" setting that causes the devices to disappear. However, neither the MX882 or the MyBookLive contain any such feature.

Does anyone have any advice to offer? Your help is most appreciated!! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!