What's new

Networking and connecting 2 homes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Darsh

New Around Here
Hello all,

My knowledge of networking is quite minimal. Reading through many forums and articles, I still remain mostly unsure about which setup to purchase.

1. Cost is not a limiting factor but hope to be reasonable.
2. Range should about 50 feet, connecting 2 townhouses separated by 1 townhouse.
3. There really is no line of sight since association rules forbid outside attachments.
4. We cannot run a wire across someone else's property like through the attics.
5. Clients would be a laptop or tablet
6. Reliable unit that doesn't need too much troubleshooting since it's used by elderly folks
7. Able to be managed remotely if there is a network issue

Is the ASUS RT68U enough? What is a better more reliable option? RT87U?
Am I worried more about the 2.4 or 5 Ghz throughput?
Do I need a wireless repeater or extender? If so, which one is best with no line of sight?
Or do I need 2 routers as a bridge instead?
Is a directional antenna replacing an original antenna essential?

The goal is a laptop or tablet getting a decent connection for browsing and watching online videos from a router connected to the cable modem router, which I presume doesn't provide a reliable connection at 50 feet. There is no need for 4K or gaming.

Thanks!!!

The goal is a laptop or tablet getting a decent connection for browsing and watching online videos from a router connected to the cable modem router,

tbh i think you have a snow flakes chance in hell of getting any signal through the walls and i assume brick between the two locations

i would try an borrow a wireless AC router to test first as i cant seee any option be it repeater or extender or just a BHR ( big honking router ) would cover enough to make it worth repeating

Range should about 50 feet, connecting 2 townhouses separated by 1 townhouse.

but through how many walls and whats the construction materials used

Connect two townhouses separated by one townhouse?

I think it would be (almost) cheaper to move one or the other (or both) tenants to be physically next to each other. Than to connect them wirelessly with the restrictions stated.

tbh i think you have a snow flakes chance in hell of getting any signal through the walls and i assume brick between the two locations

i would try an borrow a wireless AC router to test first

but through how many walls and whats the construction materials used

My first plan is to buy a router and test it. I'm hoping a window unit router will allow better signal.

There are 2 walls or 4 drywalls. I'm not sure what the insulation is.

My first plan is to buy a router and test it. I'm hoping a window unit router will allow better signal.

There are 2 walls or 4 drywalls. I'm not sure what the insulation is.

I don't know what the building code is in your area, but many jurisdictions require a fire break or fire resistant wall between units which is certainly more than a single ply of drywall and could be a masonry wall.

OK. You said you already have a wireless router/modem.
  • Locate it as close as you can to the window nearest your target townhouse.
  • Load one of those WiFi analyzers onto a wireless laptop (or a smart phone).
  • Take it outside and near the window where your router/modem is.
  • Connect at 2.4GHz (not 5).
  • Look at signal strength.
  • Move slowly towards the target townhouse observing signal strengths.
  • Ultimately you will be standing by the window of the 2nd townhouse (the window closest to the window of the 1st townhouse).
  • If you're still seeing some signal go inside and stand by the window with your laptop and see if you still have some signal.
Depending on what you observe you'll have to make a judgement call on whether or not to invest in equipment.
  • Like if you were able to get your existing router/modem right next to your window and lost all signal about halfway through your walk to the target townhouse investing in a new router plus range extender might be pointless.
  • Or, best case, you're inside the target townhouse, standing by the window and seeing an OK-ish signal it might be worthwhile to invest in some equipment.
Start with a wireless range extender (as per Pete I don't know the difference between an extender and repeater) for the 2nd townhouse. Look for one that is dual band and that would allow you to use the 2.4 band to connect to the modem/router and allows clients (in the 2nd town house) to connect at 5. Netgear offers a couple.

If performance is marginal to OK-ish using a better wireless router in townhouse #1 will likely help. It would also allow you to optimize its location (if you haven't already been able to locate your modem/router exactly where you wanted). I'm thinking if you can locate both devices centered right on the windows?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online