What's new

Networking Help Required between ISP Router and VPN Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sentis

New Around Here
Hi Guys,

First time posting here after a lot of research online, hopefully someone here can help with the issue:

I have an ISP router which is cabled physically to a Linksys router I am using with ExpressVPN firmware installed (OpenWRT). Everything connects fine but I am not able to ping across networks. I realize this is because they are separate networks and to that end I have added static routing to the ISP router, and the Linksys router but it got me no where.

Router details are below, can bridging interfaces in the VPN router help?

Router 1 (ISP Router):

ZTE F668
IP: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Enabled

Router 2 (Linksys WRT3200ACM):
Running ExpressVPN Firmware ver 1.4.7
IP: 192.168.42.1
Lan IP from Router 1: 192.168.1.11
DHCP Enabled on VPN interface.

ZTE Router lan port is connected to Linksys routers WAN port.

I need VPN clients to have VPN IP, Local clients on ZTE to have local IP, but both networks should be able to ping each other.

Please help, I am a novice in networking, so please explicate any solutions you can offer.

Thanks a lot!

The Linksys probably has a firewall running on the WAN port which will not respond to ping. You need to remember you are working with 2 firewalls since you are using the WAN port on the Linksys. Play with that idea.