What's new

New 6E Laptop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

drinkingbird

Part of the Furniture
@Tech9 work just replaced my 6 laptop with a 6E, can you recommend a router for my 300 meg internet connection. ROG Plus Professional Ultra Gamer Edition GT-AX239490230000000000 ?

I mostly use my internet for checking email and some of the messages are really long.

I would start with 1x Cisco ASR 9910 Router and 10x Cisco Catalyst 9136 Access Points. Add extra if needed.

1679727077858.png

If your messages are not very long you may fit in $100K. Free Galaxy Ultra speed tester included.

Six radios per AP good? 2.4 GHz (4x4), 5 GHz (8x8 and 4x4), 6 GHz (4x4), scanning radio, and BLE/IoT?

Unfortunately, the router in this configuration and at this price point is basic and doesn't come with RGB.

We use ASR 9Ks so I can get one easily but the LED game is pretty pathetic so I passed.

I'd probably need 9922 as some messages exceed a page.

Last edited:
I would start with 1x Cisco ASR 9910 Router and 10x Cisco Catalyst 9136 Access Points. Add extra if needed.

I really like the Nexus 9500's because one can never have enough ports... esp if one wants to have drops for the media center, bedrooms, closets, bathrooms, garage, the neighbors, etc...

@Tech9's feedback on the AP's - spot on...

nexus9500.jpg

The Cisco Nexus 9500 Series modular switches support a comprehensive selection of line cards and fabric modules that provide 1-, 10-, 25-, 40-, 50-, 100-, 200-, and 400-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces. Using these line cards the Cisco Nexus 9500 Series switches can be configured with up to.

• 256 400-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 524 200-Gigabit Ethernet ports# (or)
  • 1024 100-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 2048 50-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 1024 40-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 2304 25-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 2304 1/10-Gigabit Ethernet ports

I really like the Nexus 9500's because one can never have enough ports... esp if one wants to have drops for the media center, bedrooms, closets, bathrooms, garage, the neighbors, etc...

View attachment 48874

The Cisco Nexus 9500 Series modular switches support a comprehensive selection of line cards and fabric modules that provide 1-, 10-, 25-, 40-, 50-, 100-, 200-, and 400-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces. Using these line cards the Cisco Nexus 9500 Series switches can be configured with up to.

• 256 400-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 524 200-Gigabit Ethernet ports# (or)
  • 1024 100-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 2048 50-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 1024 40-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 2304 25-Gigabit Ethernet ports (or)
  • 2304 1/10-Gigabit Ethernet ports

We use those also along with the ultra low latency 3548 but they are L3 switches, a bit limited on some of the advanced routing and QOS stuff but you have to sacrifice something to get sub 250 nanoseconds (125 if you disable just about all the L3 features). The SFPs are absurdly expensive though, even at 90% discount.

The ASR 9ks can do terabits of true routing, they are amazing edge routers.

They're starting to reuse the catalyst name (which used to be L2 and eventually L3 switches) for access points and routers which is making things really confusing.

The ASR 9ks can do terabits of true routing, they are amazing edge routers.

Just make sure QoS is disabled and NAT acceleration is enabled.
When you speedtest 298Mbps on your 300Mbps ISP line - time to upgrade.

They come with no PoE injector. This makes them a little expensive for home use.
Only 5GbE port as well - may be a limitation for emails with >2 pictures attached.

Last edited:
Just make sure QoS is disabled and NAT acceleration is enabled.

When you speedtest 298Mbps on your 300Mbps ISP line - time to upgrade.

QOS and NAT are completely hardware offloaded, the CPU just yawns and goes to sleep.

They come with no PoE injector. This makes them a little expensive for home use.

Well obviously you're going to put POE line cards and the mandatory upgraded power supplies in the nexus switches they hang off...

Happy to help. One more reason to get ASR 9K series router - @sfx2000 told me OpenWrt support is coming soon.

I'd rather use IOS, that's my second language.

First I need to run 60 amp 220V to the office, and install industrial air conditioning, and a good PDU. At least I'll be nice and warm in the winter. Deaf, but warm.

I would try LAGG with 2x 400-Gigabit ports. This may keep latency low with larger emails.

Don't overload the APs with 2-3 laptops checking mail at the same time and you're good.

Try your old RT-AC68U as AiMesh node if you need coverage to the garden or to your garage.

Don't use too many static IPs and too many client names - not sure what's ASR 9K NVRAM situation.

I would try LAGG with 2x 400-Gigabit ports. This may keep latency low with larger emails.

Don't overload the APs with 2-3 laptops checking mail at the same time and you're good.

Try your old RT-AC68U as AiMesh node if you need coverage to the garden or to your garage.

Don't use too many static IPs and too many client names - not sure what's ASR 9K NVRAM situation.

256G compact flash card so it can handle like 20 or 30 hostnames at least.

No go on the 68U as I check email in the garage too.

Happy to help. One more reason to get ASR 9K series router - @sfx2000 told me OpenWrt support is coming soon.

Funny you should say that, Cisco is actually offering open source support for some stuff, particularly on the new Catalyst devices which are being targeted to SDWAN and thus will need add-ons etc. Maybe not OpenWRT though :)

Please, run the stock firmware on your new system for now and see how stable it is. If you have stability issues - do factory reset few times.

Please, run the stock firmware on your new system for now and see how stable it is. If you have stability issues - do factory reset few times.

Can always get Eric or Voxel to spin up a build ;)

They're starting to reuse the catalyst name (which used to be L2 and eventually L3 switches) for access points and routers which is making things really confusing.

Yeah - everything is a remix these days and hard to tell what's what with downloading the spec sheet/product brief.

We did the Nexus upgrade in a wireless telecom core consolidation (long story) replacing years of organic growth with a hodge podge of gear from Juniper, Brocade, etc...

That was back in the day when having a 100Gb fiber core was something exceptional... now days with 5G, that's on the edge out to the NodeB/Cells...

Yeah - everything is a remix these days and hard to tell what's what with downloading the spec sheet/product brief.

We did the Nexus upgrade in a wireless telecom core consolidation (long story) replacing years of organic growth with a hodge podge of gear from Juniper, Brocade, etc...

That was back in the day when having a 100Gb fiber core was something exceptional... now days with 5G, that's on the edge out to the NodeB/Cells...

I mean really who doesn't have 400G these days. In reality in my industry it is just starting to catch on, though one customer did just light up a 400G transatlantic NY to London. Most are still doing 100G or Nx100G due to cost. In reality 400G is just 4x100G but the hardware and optics are still stupidly expensive. 1T will be along soon enough and bring the price down.

On an unrelated note a neighbor was tossing out a TP Link C3150 that's now sitting in my pile of stuff. I think I'll swap out my Asus for it and get...... the exact same 867 link speed. Or maybe I'll find a 4x4 wifi card that supports TurboQAM and see if it can actually push the 2167 it claims on 5ghz (or even more impressively the 1000 on 2.4).

EDIT sorry NITRO QAM. Wow that sounds REALLY fast.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!