What's new

New AC66U Questions and Concerns

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Briant73

Regular Contributor
Just got a new Asus AC66U router and when I first went to use it the router would not work. Thanks to Rmerlin who suggested the FW may be culprit and to try a recovery, I got it working by clearing nvram and loading FW from Asus website. Now I can return this router for replacement/exchange but I'd like to check it out to see if the issue is hardware or just a bad FW load at the factory that I corrected and not go through the hassle.

What things should I check out to test performance for wireless/wired and also check that the router is operating correctly otherwise (system log maybe)?

If you can post the output from the following command (run through telnet):

I could take a look at it and see if anything comes as suspicious during the boot process. However it would still not be a guarantee that your router is perfectly fine. There's a pretty good chance it is however if it seems to be working fine after you re-flashed its firmware. I've seen a similar issue happen to a person or two with WDTVs that were shipped in recovery mode in the past. Perhaps do a few stress-test to ensure the hardware is stable during the next day or two.

If you can post the output from the following command (run through telnet):

I could take a look at it and see if anything comes as suspicious during the boot process. However it would still not be a guarantee that your router is perfectly fine. There's a pretty good chance it is however if it seems to be working fine after you re-flashed its firmware. I've seen a similar issue happen to a person or two with WDTVs that were shipped in recovery mode in the past. Perhaps do a few stress-test to ensure the hardware is stable during the next day or two.

Thank for the offer, I am starting suspect more is wrong with the router, today several mobile devices that were using it all weekend are now needing passphrase information reentered to gain access. I have not noticed this behavior with these devices in the past.

Thank for the offer, I am starting suspect more is wrong with the router, today several mobile devices that were using it all weekend are now needing passphrase information reentered to gain access. I have not noticed this behavior with these devices in the past.

I know this is a little dated, but I had this same issue today with the .220 firmware. I have to powercycle the router when this happens. Devices that were connected at the time stay connected. But new devices (my phone shuts WiFi off when screen is off) cannot connect, asking for passkey.

I have also noticed that when this happens, I cannot login to the router from any device (already connected) even though I can still surf the internet.

I pushed the Merlin firmware to it today after discovering this site. So far today it's been fine after the new firmware (.220.17). I'll see how things go in a couple days. I just set the AC66U up two days ago.

Hopefully the Merlin FW fixes that behavior, hopefully you can get back to us after some time and let us know.

Hopefully the Merlin FW fixes that behavior, hopefully you can get back to us after some time and let us know.

Had to powercycle again today running .220.18
Lost wireless connectivity completely so I wasn't able to ping or anything. I didn't try to ping directly connected though, so no idea if that would have went through.

Had to powercycle again today running .220.18
Lost wireless connectivity completely so I wasn't able to ping or anything. I didn't try to ping directly connected though, so no idea if that would have went through.

How hot does your router get? Have you tried standing it up?

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 459
Well, been a week since the last powercycle and still running strong!
Still running 220.18 and no problems.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!