What's new

New ac86u recommend merlin or stock firmware??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JS_racer

Regular Contributor
Hey all, looking to replace my old n66 fork firmware router with a Asus 2900 tomorrow. Thoughts on what firmware to run? Leaning merlin
Also is there an updated setup guide I should use for this?
I'll write down my fixed ip and other things like dns server used. Any other tips? I was a basic user with a USB hard drive attached
Thanks much for the time
Joel

Hey all, looking to replace my old n66 fork firmware router with a Asus 2900 tomorrow. Thoughts on what firmware to run? Leaning merlin
I'll write down my fixed ip and other things like dns server used. Any other tips? I was a basic user with a USB hard drive attached
Thanks much for the time
Joel
If you want to save a few bucks get a RT-AC66U_B1. Has the same processor as the AC68U and runs the same current firmware. I replaced my N66R with one and am pleased with it. Even tried a Netgear Orbi and decided to keep the Asus!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

I have been running stock firmware. Merlin's firmware adds some features, but lately ASUS has been updating the AC86U firmware frequently with useful fixes, and Merlin's firmware is not keeping up. If you don't mind experimenting, then try both.

I have been running stock firmware. Merlin's firmware adds some features, but lately ASUS has been updating the AC86U firmware frequently with useful fixes, and Merlin's firmware is not keeping up.

384.4 beta is at the same code level as the latest Asus release.

Thanks much for the time
Joel

I guess it depends what are you planing on running. My RT-N66U was perfect until I deiced to use VPN. With the RT-N66U and PIA VPN I s only getting 5Mbp, once I upgraded the Router is giving me my full speed while on VPN (100Mbp)

I'm currently running
Ab-Solution
Skynet

I bought the router as openedbox and I just paid $145 from B&H

I've got an AC86U on its way to replace my AC68U and have been considering running it with ASUS firmware. I've come from an N66U and AC68U always running Merlin though.

The AC86U arrived yesterday and I went with Merlin, although 384.5 was the latest version available when I was getting things ready, so will install 384.6 tonight.