What's new

New Asus RT-AC86U Odd IP Addressing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GMD99

Occasional Visitor
I just installed a new RT-AC86U router today replacing an old Linksys 4200. The Asus router has the 3.0.0.4.384_32799 firmware installed.

I also have 1 Apple Extreme and 3 Apple Express routers in bridge mode to the main router.

My issue is that even though I manually assigned ip addresses for each of the Apple Routers, when I view the Client List on the Network Map page I will generally see one or more of those routers with different addresses! For example, I have assigned the Extreme with the address 10.0.1.7, however when I looked at the Client List when I started writing this it was showing as 10.0.1.58 which is an address reserved for another device! Then when I looked about a minute ago, the address of the Extreme was now showing as the correct one (10.0.1.7)! After looking again, the Extreme was back to 10.0.1.58 and the other device with that address was also showing... but while I was looking at the page the device that should have that address disappeared from the list!

Another curious thing is that when I click on check for updates, I get the error message "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates." The router is clearly connected to the internet since I am on this forum!

Are these known issues or should I be concerned with this router?

This is a known limitation of some wireless bridges. From the Asus' perspective it is seeing multiple IP addresses (that of the bridge and those of the clients attached to it) coming from a single MAC address. In other words this is not a problem with the router but limitation of your Apple devices when in bridge mode.

Another curious thing is that when I click on check for updates, I get the error message "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update. After reconnecting to the Internet, go back to this page and click Check to check for the latest firmware updates." The router is clearly connected to the internet since I am on this forum!

Known issue sometimes you have to wait awhile and try again and normally it works. If not just check there support site for your model.