New Asus RTAX-86U user

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

lCH3CKM4TEl

New Around Here
Hello guys,
Recently got fiber net 1gb up 1 gig down
New to the forums and new to the asus RT AX 86U user, Im not a network guru image1 img2
here are the wifi settings i currently have, only using 5 Ghz. Not using the merlin software but the latest firmware from asus
can any of you take a look at the settings and see if I disabled any of the useful options that gives more performance. I am not using ai protection or qos. most of the other settings just default. I am getting decent speeds700/700 on wifi and wired full around 950/950

I want to make sure im not limit myself the performance bc ik this is a powerful router. I know there are many other posts here about the settings but im just looking for performance/what can get me max speeds.
1) disabled wifi agile multi band (sounds good not sure)

Thanks for reading

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Welcome to the forums @lCH3CKM4TEl.

What client device are you using, and what wireless adaptor does it have? If this is a laptop, is it plugged in? If this is a handheld, use something else to test with for maximum speed.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
I recommend you use Dual Band SmartConnect for one reason. If your 5 GHz is bounced off by RADAR the clients can switch to 2.4 GHZ and keep working. With 160 MHz bandwidth that can happen. Leave the Professional settings at default. Fixed WIFI channels are OK.

lCH3CKM4TEl

New Around Here
Welcome to the forums @lCH3CKM4TEl.

What client device are you using, and what wireless adaptor does it have? If this is a laptop, is it plugged in? If this is a handheld, use something else to test with for maximum speed.
I am on wifi/wired. I have an asus ac 1200 adapter on my desktop (160 Mhz) and few smart phones. One laptop (brand new) wireless adapter is intel Ax200 The wired PC is also new ( supports AX speeds)

lCH3CKM4TEl

New Around Here
I recommend you use Dual Band SmartConnect for one reason. If your 5 GHz is bounced off by RADAR the clients can switch to 2.4 GHZ and keep working. With 160 MHz bandwidth that can happen. Leave the Professional settings at default. Fixed WIFI channels are OK.
I dont use smart connect bc I am not using 2.4 Ghz radio at all, its turned off. fixed channels i checked with wifi analyzer no conficts and I got the numbers from this forum I think L&LD recommended it If the 5Ghz gets bounced by radar and there is no 2.4 Ghz what happens? the device disconnects? I can try to bring it back to 80 Mhz if its an issue

BreakingDad

Very Senior Member
Welcome to the elite club.

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
I dont use smart connect bc I am not using 2.4 Ghz radio at all, its turned off. fixed channels i checked with wifi analyzer no conficts and I got the numbers from this forum I think L&LD recommended it If the 5Ghz gets bounced by radar and there is no 2.4 Ghz what happens? the device disconnects? I can try to bring it back to 80 Mhz if its an issue
Well, what is more important to you? Reliability of connection is for me and there is no real reason to disable the 2.4 GHz. Since the last firmware release I have been using auto channels and after the first day of settling in the router has not switched channels. So much for my prior recommendation of fixed channels and bandwidth.
I also recommend you use AiProtect and DoT. Neither will slow you down and each will enhance your network security.
You will, of course, do what you want to do. But, may I be the first to say I told you so...

jpthsd

Regular Contributor
AX86U is indeed a powerful router , a beast , 1.8Ghz Quad, 256MB RAM, 1GB storage....I got 2 of them to form AiMesh network (little regretful as If I would have bought the ZenWifi ET8 Wifi 6E available now for cheaper vs 2 x AX86U)

However, AiMesh by 2 x AX86U has no limit - really! Your setting is almost the same like mine , no complexity, just reliable wired/wireless network, nothing fancy! I am currently using latest AsusWRT latest firmware - no need yet to use Merlin!

Enjoy AX86U (spec is much better than AX86S though the lack of dedicated 5Ghz for AiMesh is offset by the CPU/RAM in AX86U :) )

jpthsd

Regular Contributor
If you ever try to use AiMesh, you might need to turn back on the 2.4Ghz since it is being used as network discovery initiation to connect between Nodes & Router. Otherwise, all looks good IMO!

lCH3CKM4TEl

New Around Here
Well, what is more important to you? Reliability of connection is for me and there is no real reason to disable the 2.4 GHz. Since the last firmware release I have been using auto channels and after the first day of settling in the router has not switched channels. So much for my prior recommendation of fixed channels and bandwidth.
I also recommend you use AiProtect and DoT. Neither will slow you down and each will enhance your network security.
You will, of course, do what you want to do. But, may I be the first to say I told you so...
Yeah reliability is a big for me, but i turned off 2.4 Ghz bc the lower speeds I prefer to use 5 Ghz and make use of the max speeds. I turned on AiProtect but I couldn't find DoT is that in the administration tab or wireless tab?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!