What's new

New AX92U want to add additional node which to buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ams_sxi

Occasional Visitor
I have set up the AX92u as primary router and want to add an additional node that will be hardwired via cat6.

I have an AX58u already but this is only dual band should i get rid of this and buy another tri band router so i can create a aimesh network or should i set up the second router as an AP?

My internet is 350mbps line and currently the AX58u is only giving speeds of 80mbps connected via cat6.

To have a stable and fast AiMesh experience, I would fully reset both the main router and any additional nodes you want to be connected to. After flashing to the latest firmware for all routers.

The links below may be helpful to get the network running optimally.

If possible, I would also ensure that both the main router and the nodes are on the same level/branch of firmware, for their respective models. For example, you want them both to be on 386.xxx, and not one on 384.xxx and the other on 385.xxx or 386.xxx.

With a wired connection, it shouldn't matter whether one router was a triband and the other a dual-band design. As long as they are both AX class devices, everything should work as expected.

I would suggest searching out the firmware in the 386.xxx branch (if possible, and they're available today) for both routers. That will give you many more features, stability, and performance with AiMesh 2.0 (vs. 1.0 in previous branches).

I hope this is enough to get you started. :)

To have a stable and fast AiMesh experience, I would fully reset both the main router and any additional nodes you want to be connected to. After flashing to the latest firmware for all routers.

If possible, I would also ensure that both the main router and the nodes are on the same level/branch of firmware, for their respective models. For example, you want them both to be on 386.xxx, and not one on 384.xxx and the other on 385.xxx or 386.xxx.

With a wired connection, it shouldn't matter whether one router was a triband and the other a dual-band design. As long as they are both AX class devices, everything should work as expected.

I would suggest searching out the firmware in the 386.xxx branch (if possible, and they're available today) for both routers. That will give you many more features, stability, and performance with AiMesh 2.0 (vs. 1.0 in previous branches).

Thanks that is really helpful. Where can i get the 386 firmware for the routers?

If they're not on the Asus website, they are not available yet. I follow RMerlin's releases instead. ;)

I have followed the settings on these links thanks really helpful.

I noticed that the 5g2 netowork does not appear on the secondary router and I cannot connect to it.

Is this because the AX58u does not allow the 5g2?

You're welcome and yes, that would be the limitation of the RT-AX58U.

Others more familiar with the RT-AX92U can offer some help here.

How is the network working out otherwise? Is it an improvement over what was running before? Some comparative feedback on that aspect would be wonderful.

Get another AX92U and they will operate as a mesh. If you ethernet the backhaul you can also open up the ax band for client access. This means all your devices will get full wifi6 speeds.

Last edited:
Get another AX92U and they will operate as a mesh. If you ethernet the backhaul you can also open up the ax band for client access. This means all your devices will get full wifi6 speeds.

Make sure you update the firmware on your AX92U's. I believe the earlier builds didn't support wifi6 client access, plus they had issues with disconnections.

How do i know if i am connected to WIFI 6, i have iphone 12 pro.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!