What's new

new bie Q:is it possible to flash any wireless router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shortduck

New Around Here
hi

I am planning to buy a new wireless router but wants to install tomato or other OS on it so that I can enable SSH and DLNA.

So my question is is that possible to flash any wireless router?

thanks

hi

I am planning to buy a new wireless router but wants to install tomato or other OS on it so that I can enable SSH and DLNA.

So my question is is that possible to flash any wireless router?

thanks

No it is not possible to flash just any router with Tomato, DD-WRT, etc. Depends on the chip set and available memory.

You will need to research what version of the OS firmware can be flashed on to what routers. If you are confused after doing the research then don't attempt flashing a new OS onto a router.

Flashing a router requires diligent research and following precise instructions exactly. Many mistakes or errors in the process can result in your router being "bricked". Unless you are an electronic whiz a bricked router is a piece of junk and all that can be salvaged is the wall wart power supply which you can keep as a spare when you purchase a replacement router. Something so simple as a power glitch during the process can result in a bricked router.

If you want to learn how to flash a router buy a used 54G versions 1 -4 on e-Bay for $20 - $40 and then flash it with either DD-WRT or Tomato. If you succeed then you are ready to try the process on a more expensive router.

are you talking about Linksys WRT54G 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router ?

Linksys WRT54G 54 Mbps 4-Port 10/100 Wireless G Router

There are different versions of the Linksys WRT54G. The same goes for most routers, they come in different versions sharing the same common "model" designation. There are usually minor changes in hardware, making it impossible to use exactly the same software.

There are also some models of routers that are virtually impossible to "brick" (usually because they have a boot loader capable of handling flashing even if the main "ROM" is not working). Other routers need a working software to be able to be flashed easily, so if something goes wrong you end up in a dead end, router is "bricked".

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!