What's new

New edgerouters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Specifications

ER-4 and ER-6
Processor: 4-Core 1GHz MIPS64
System Memory: 1GB DDR3 RAM
On-Board Flash Storage: 4GB eMMC, 8 MB SPI NOR

ER-4:
(3) 10/100/1000 RJ45 Ports
(1) 1 Gbps SFP Port

ER-6:
(5) 10/100/1000 RJ45 Ports with PoE
(1) 1 Gbps SFP Port

Here's the info straight from the Beta store listings:

EdgeRouter 4

"The all new EdgeRouter 4 brings “high-performance at disruptive pricing” to a new level. With a 50% increase in performance compared to the EdgeRouter Pro, the EdgeRouter 4 delivers the performance your network needs. Paired with our feature-rich EdgeOS makes this a versatile tool in both Carrier-Grade and Enterprise networks."
  • New Design
  • (3) 10/100/1000 Mbps Etherent Ports and (1) SFP Port
  • 4-Core 1GHz MIPS64 Processor
  • Internal PSU
  • Fanless
  • Desk, Wall, and RackMount options*
*RackMount included in beta store purchases only, it will be sold separately in production.
upload_2017-7-14_13-18-17.pngupload_2017-7-14_13-43-46.png upload_2017-7-14_13-20-48.png upload_2017-7-14_13-21-9.pngupload_2017-7-14_13-22-44.png
MSRP $149

Product Specifications

Dimensions 229x136.5x31.1mm
Weight 0.8kg
Enclosure Characteristics: Metal Housing with Black Powder Coat
Processor 4-Core 1GHz MIPS64
System Memory 1GB DDR3
On-Board Flash Storage 4GB eMMC, 8MB SPI NOR
Max. Power Consumption 13W
Supported Voltage Range 100V~240V 50/60Hz Universal AC adapter
Networking Interfaces (3) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Router Ports
(1) 1Gbps SFP Port
(1) USB 3.0 (Reserved for future use)
(1) RJ45 Serial

Last edited:
EdgeRouter 6

"The all new EdgeRouter 6 brings “high-performance at disruptive pricing” to a new level. With a 50% increase in performance compared to the EdgeRouter Pro, the EdgeRouter 6 delivers the performance your network needs. Paired with our feature-rich EdgeOS makes this a versatile tool in both Carrier-Grade and Enterprise networks."
  • New Design
  • (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet Ports and (1) SFP Port
  • 24V/48V PoE Output*
  • 4-Core 1GHz MIPS64 Processor
  • External 48V 1.25amp Power Supply
  • Fanless
  • Desk, Wall, and RackMount options**
* This beta product ships with PoE output options of 24V 2-pair and 48V PoE. The final production model will provide 24V 2-pair and 24V 4-pair output, the 48V output option will be removed.

** Rackmount included in beta store purchases only, it will be sold separately in production.
upload_2017-7-14_13-27-28.png upload_2017-7-14_13-27-40.png upload_2017-7-14_13-27-57.png upload_2017-7-14_13-28-9.png
MSRP $179

Product Specifications
Dimensions 11.25" x 2.5" x 9.75"
Weight 3.45 lbs
Enclosure Characteristics Metal Housing with Black Powder Coat
Processor 4-Core 1GHz MIPS64
System Memory 1GB DDR3
On-Board Flash Storage 4GB eMMC, 8MB SPI NOR
Max. Power Consumption 16W
Supported Voltage Range 100V~240V 50/60Hz Universal AC adapter
24V: 27V~21V
48V: 54V~45V
Networking Interfaces (1) RJ45 Serial Port
(5) 10/100/1000 Ethernet Router Ports
(1) 1Gbps SFP Ethernet Router Port
(1) USB 3.0 reserved for future
(1) BT/BLE 4.0
PoE Interfaces *(5) 24V/48V Passive PoE Ports, 4,5+/7,8- *48V PoE output is only available with 48V power adapter
Mangement Interface (1) RJ45 Serial Port
(6) Ethernet Ports, (default eth0)

They're running a dev version of what would be the upcoming 1.9.8 firmware, based off the also upcoming 1.9.7 for the preexisting model series.

Obviously there are a few typos, for example the dimensions - I would go with the ER-4 dimensions, as from the following photo they're actually identical in size. Here are some shots in comparison with the ER-L, courtesy of JerryUbi on the UBNT beta forums:
er6-er4-erl-1.jpg er6-er4-erl-2.jpg er6-er4-erl-3.jpg

Interesting to note:
Cavium Octeon III architecture
150% performance of the ER-8-Pro for $149 and $179 MSRPs.
Initial reports of ~500Mb/s aggregate Fq_codel QoS, non-offloaded.
All port are routed - no hardware switching. Wondering if switching can be run in-software?
According to UBNT staff, all beta stock for the ER-4 is sold-out. The ER-6 they may have more of at random times.

Last edited:
I haven't see any internal photos or info regarding whether RAM is soldered or SODIMM-based. I'd assume non-replaceable, but we all know other vendors have shoe-horned in replaceable RAM in similar size boxes, so who knows...

So you havent found any specs, but you reduce they cant compair...

World backwards
Well seems like i was right from the leak specs. While lacking raw CPU power ubiquiti is relying on hardware acceleration as usual. Its not necessarily a bad thing but if you are one who needs performance + lots of configuration the edgerouter may not be for you.

My interest in the edgerouter isnt as a pure router like mikrotik is, its the versatility of it. For example using a network antivirus on the router itself. What a router is capable off and it's CPU architecture interests me. That 16 core octeon would be interesting to use as an embedded linux server. Once im established i'll be sure to contact ubiquiti for one to write about but first i need to get set up and write about various things like making a really good DIY NAS.

I think about edgerouters differently than with routerboards. With edgerouters i imagine one useful home use would be as an all in one router such as including a torrent client too. It has usb3 though.

So while people tend to compare prices and performance i suggest either depending on the use cases.

Last edited:
If the above case were in question, then yes, a CCR wins on *in-software* compute power, no doubt. But that's also because UBNT is only offering 4-core models (at this point). Mikrotik's base CCR has 9 cores, plus TILE vs MIPS produces slightly different results clock-for-clock. And price scales accordingly, with the ERs being a bit less than half the MSRP of a CCR-1009... In any event, both have their appeal, and I would say neither is outright superior over one another in every use case.

If the above case were in question, then yes, a CCR wins on *in-software* compute power, no doubt. On cost-to-performance though, with $149 and $179 MSRPs vs $400-ish, the tables turn. So I'd say neither appears outright superior in every case.
Now that is the nuance i was looking for :)

I think each have their own cases, in which the work best.
From what i read and hear though there's a lot to want in the stability department of a ccr.

Have been hoping ubiquiti would switch to intel for processing power

*Both* UBNT and Mikrotik have their inherent issues. The fact of the matter is you've got two companies who are trying to put out gear that can do a majority (and in some cases more) than their multi-thousand-dollar big-boy counterparts, for fractions of the cost. You're bound to have issues with somewhere along the line. In their case, a complete lack of any kind of TAC or direct enterprise type of support, and more of a users-as-beta-testers approach to product life cycles. It just comes with the territory. The challenge is educating the buyer base so that they know and understand this. I would say having a VAR/IT-pro in that kind of sales channel is all but required, yet too few Amazon buyers and end-consumers come to respect this before pulling the trigger. Not offering any excuses for their lack of ability to create products that work as advertised, but still, its incumbent on people to do their research before buying. /rant :)

If the above case were in question, then yes, a CCR wins on *in-software* compute power, no doubt. But that's also because UBNT is only offering 4-core models (at this point). Mikrotik's base CCR has 9 cores, plus TILE vs MIPS produces slightly different results clock-for-clock. And price scales accordingly, with the ERs being a bit less than half the MSRP of a CCR-1009... In any event, both have their appeal, and I would say neither is outright superior over one another in every use case.
I was comparing the 16 core to the 36 core. Same price point only different ports.

Ahh... the EdgeRouter Infinity XG (16 core) vs a 36-core CCR. In that case, the CCR wins on raw compute potential, sure, but port architecture is different and potentially use-cases may very, so not sure if it's as apples-to-apples a comparison here. I'll admit I haven't tested either, so I don't know if there is some feature(s) that would lead one to be more appealing than the other, cost-to-performance aside. Perhaps the XG is already beat in that sense. But back to this thread's models in question -- the value appears compelling, at least upon initial inspection.

Ahh... the EdgeRouter Infinity XG (16 core) vs a 36-core CCR. In that case, the CCR wins on raw compute potential, sure, but port architecture is different and potentially use-cases may very, so not sure if it's as apples-to-apples a comparison here. I'll admit I haven't tested either, so I don't know if there is some feature(s) that would lead one to be more appealing than the other, cost-to-performance aside. Perhaps the XG is already beat in that sense. But back to this thread's models in question -- the value appears compelling, at least upon initial inspection.
In my opinion with the new edgerouter line makes it worth considering, so now there are more options to recommend depending on use cases. I always view edgerouters as versatile routers that are basically a linux, never as a performance router like mikrotik and there are various differences between the 2. For example mikrotik has the capability to run it';s network monitoring on the router and i once mentioned running a similar thing on the edgerouter with one that was mentioned here before.

Actually they are, for all intents and purposes vyatta, and are mainly limited by the cpu power of their processor.

I still have hope one day they will put in a more serious cpu.
Given debians/freebsd support for intel dpdk ...

My hope continues :)