New error message

tnpapa

Occasional Visitor
I have never seen this before, now it happens at least once a day even when no one is using the internet.

dnsmasq[22622]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

tboughts?

eibgrad

Part of the Furniture
Not sure why it's happening (that may be an issue), but you can increase it using the dns-forward-max directive in DNSMasq.

P.S. For diagnostic purposes, you could also add the log-queries=extra directive to see what clients are making what DNS calls. You could then scan the syslog for the output.

Code:
grep dnsmasq /tmp/syslog.log

Last edited:

eibgrad

Part of the Furniture
FWIW, here's how to do it.

Make sure to set "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" in Administration > System to Yes. Then connect to the router w/ SSH and copy/paste the following script into the terminal window.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

CONFIGS_DIR='/jffs/configs'
CONFIG="$CONFIGS_DIR/dnsmasq.conf.add"

mkdir -p $CONFIGS_DIR

create_config() {
cat << 'EOF' > $CONFIG
dns-forward-max=300
log-queries=extra
EOF
}

if [ -f $CONFIG ]; then
    echo "error: $CONFIG already exists; requires manual installation"
else
    create_config
    echo 'Done.'
fi
:

Finally, reboot.

NOTE: It will NOT overwrite any pre-existing /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file.

P.S. I suppose you could just restart dnsmasq instead of reboot, your choice.

Code:
service restart_dnsmasq

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
I have never seen this before, now it happens at least once a day even when no one is using the internet.

dnsmasq[22622]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

tboughts?
It's typically caused by an issue with the upstream DNS server, or an issue connecting to it. Check your DNS settings, particularly if you're using the VPN client.

tnpapa

Occasional Visitor
Looking thru my dns logs I see that there was a wave of requests to bogus websites all made at the same time. That seems to be the issue.