What's new

New error message

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnpapa

Regular Contributor
I have never seen this before, now it happens at least once a day even when no one is using the internet.

dnsmasq[22622]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

tboughts?

Not sure why it's happening (that may be an issue), but you can increase it using the dns-forward-max directive in DNSMasq.

P.S. For diagnostic purposes, you could also add the log-queries=extra directive to see what clients are making what DNS calls. You could then scan the syslog for the output.

Code:
grep dnsmasq /tmp/syslog.log

Last edited:
FWIW, here's how to do it.

Make sure to set "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" in Administration > System to Yes. Then connect to the router w/ SSH and copy/paste the following script into the terminal window.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

CONFIGS_DIR='/jffs/configs'
CONFIG="$CONFIGS_DIR/dnsmasq.conf.add"

mkdir -p $CONFIGS_DIR

create_config() {
cat << 'EOF' > $CONFIG
dns-forward-max=300
log-queries=extra
EOF
}

if [ -f $CONFIG ]; then
    echo "error: $CONFIG already exists; requires manual installation"
else
    create_config
    echo 'Done.'
fi
:

Finally, reboot.

NOTE: It will NOT overwrite any pre-existing /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file.

P.S. I suppose you could just restart dnsmasq instead of reboot, your choice.

Code:
service restart_dnsmasq

I have never seen this before, now it happens at least once a day even when no one is using the internet.

dnsmasq[22622]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)

tboughts?
It's typically caused by an issue with the upstream DNS server, or an issue connecting to it. Check your DNS settings, particularly if you're using the VPN client.

Looking thru my dns logs I see that there was a wave of requests to bogus websites all made at the same time. That seems to be the issue.

Looking thru my dns logs I see that there was a wave of requests to bogus websites all made at the same time. That seems to be the issue.
Did you ever figure this out?

It appears i may have the same issue as i get random waves of dns queries that tank my connection even tho I'm forwarding all queries upstream.

I suggest both of you scan the systems generating those calls for malware

I had this error a bunch of times in the past when I was on cable - only happened when my WAN connection became unstable with loss of data flow or lot's of lost packets... (plant noise etc...)....
Always resolved without interfering with the router...

About 3 month ago I switched to a brand new Fiber Connection and have not seen this pop up again - the new connection has been 100% stable...

I suggest both of you scan the systems generating those calls for malware
Still narrowing down which of the 25 devices on the network causes the random spam bursts. As the problem is not consistent (not the same time every day and not every day), so i have extra logging turned on and im waiting for the next occurrence of the problem to then filter the logs and assess. Any recommendations to narrow the cause down faster would be appreciated

Still narrowing down which of the 25 devices on the network causes the random spam bursts. As the problem is not consistent (not the same time every day and not every day), so i have extra logging turned on and im waiting for the next occurrence of the problem to then filter the logs and assess. Any recommendations to narrow the cause down faster would be appreciated

Your plan is sound. Just wait it out

It's not always malware! I've a 7yo Samsung SmartTV that just spams Samsung Servers that no longer exist (I've seen Sony SmartTVs do the same). The solution here is the TV has its DNS pointed to a Pi-Hole connected to the same switch, so minimising traffic as much as possible. That said, in this setup, even if the TV were allowed to go on a DNS spam-fest, you'd probably not realise unless you look at the logs!

It's not always malware! I've a 7yo Samsung SmartTV that just spams Samsung Servers that no longer exist (I've seen Sony SmartTVs do the same). The solution here is the TV has its DNS pointed to a Pi-Hole connected to the same switch, so minimising traffic as much as possible. That said, in this setup, even if the TV were allowed to go on a DNS spam-fest, you'd probably not realise unless you look at the logs!
Wait, are you saying my TV is spamming my network and taking it down or is that an example of how it can happen without being malicious

Your TV could be spamming your network, but DNS queries are short, so even a whole load of them is probably not going to be noticeable! Unless you were on say a really bad ADSL line with no local DNS filtering!

Personally, I don't put our TV's on the internet or my home network...just use external streaming boxes, and they're on the internet. There's really no reason for me to put those 6-year old Samsung's on the network, don't use any of the "smart" apps on the TV, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the internet connection is used mainly to tell Samsung what I'm watching *smile*. I'm not paranoid, don't really care if Samsung knows what I'm doing with my TV, but see no reason to put our TV's on the internet. As far as firmware updates for my TV's, I want to make sure that there's no problems with the latest version of firmware before I put it on my TV anyways...so exercising due dilligence, I put the firmware on a USB flash drive and update the TV firmware that way.

Kind of OT, sorry about that *smile*.

If your TV have the option to do not look automatically for software/firmware update (like mine) then this could possibly stop your TV to "spam" your network.

For those devices that I don't want to access the internet, I block their access individually through the router GUI interface:

1662407973960.png

Easy enough to turn access on/off, if needed.