What's new

New firmware AC68U - (Version : 3.0.0.4.385_20253)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netmann

Occasional Visitor
Just saw this new firmware today (03/12/2020 - 3 pm PST):

-Release Note-

Bug Fixes and Enhancements:
1. Fixed CVE-2019-15126 ("Kr00k") vulnerability

Is this important or can you skip it?

FYI, I installed the 20253 update on my Asus RT-AC1900p the other day. Suddenly CPU overhead is off the charts. Both cores consistently run 95-98% when the router isn't doing anything at all (compared to 2-5% normally). Needless to say, everything (including the stock router interface) is very laggy with that update. A factory reset only cured the problem for a few hours. I downgraded to 20252 and problem disappeared. Tried updating again...same scenario. So I've put 20252 back on until Asus can fix the update.

Last edited:
FYI, I installed the 20253 update on my Asus RT-AC1900p the other day. Suddenly CPU overhead is off the charts. Both cores consistently run 95-98% when the router isn't doing anything at all (compared to 2-5% normally). Needless to say, everything (including the stock router interface) is very laggy with that update. A factory reset only cured the problem for a few hours. I downgraded to 20252 and problem disappeared. Tried updating again...same scenario. So I've put 20252 back on until Asus can fix the update.

After updating my Asus RT-AC68P's stock firmware to 3.0.0.4.385_20253, I am experiencing the same issue--my router's CPU (both cores) are consistently running at 85-95% and the (router's) WebUI is extremely sluggish. In an attempt to resolve these issues, I restored the router to its Factory Default settings, and reconfigured the router from scratch, but the performance issues returned a couple of days later; to my dismay, the router had been working well--the CPU's cores were running between 0-30% for a couple of days--until the problem resurfaced.

After reading forum posts last night about reverting the router's firmware back to firmware version 20252 to resolve these issues, I became extremely hopeful that I could return the routers performance back to normal, but unfortunately, I am unable to revert back to 20252. Following Asus' instructions, I restarted the router in Recovery Mode and attempted to push firmware version 20252 with the Asus Recovery utility, but the process fails at around 87% of the firmware push (consistently). The only thing I have plugged into my router is my PC (into LAN port 1) and the router's power brick.

With that said, I was wondering how you reverted back to firmware version 20252. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.

After updating my Asus RT-AC68P's stock firmware to 3.0.0.4.385_20253, I am experiencing the same issue--my router's CPU (both cores) are consistently running at 85-95% and the (router's) WebUI is extremely sluggish. In an attempt to resolve these issues, I restored the router to its Factory Default settings, and reconfigured the router from scratch, but the performance issues returned a couple of days later; to my dismay, the router had been working well--the CPU's cores were running between 0-30% for a couple of days--until the problem resurfaced.

After reading forum posts last night about reverting the router's firmware back to firmware version 20252 to resolve these issues, I became extremely hopeful that I could return the routers performance back to normal, but unfortunately, I am unable to revert back to 20252. Following Asus' instructions, I restarted the router in Recovery Mode and attempted to push firmware version 20252 with the Asus Recovery utility, but the process fails at around 87% of the firmware push (consistently). The only thing I have plugged into my router is my PC (into LAN port 1) and the router's power brick.

With that said, I was wondering how you reverted back to firmware version 20252. Any suggestions? Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
I went to the ASUS website, and under products chose networking/wireless routers. Choose your router and click on support. You can choose any of the half-dozen or so most recent firmware updates. Download to your PC, then in the routers UI, go to firmware update and choose to download from your pc. Takes about 5 min total. There’s clearly a bug in 20253. It was designed to address the Kr00k vulnerability...but they must not have tested it properly.

I went to the ASUS website, and under products chose networking/wireless routers. Choose your router and click on support. You can choose any of the half-dozen or so most recent firmware updates. Download to your PC, then in the routers UI, go to firmware update and choose to download from your pc. Takes about 5 min total. There’s clearly a bug in 20253. It was designed to address the Kr00k vulnerability...but they must not have tested it properly.

10-4. Thank you. I originally was going to attempt the firmware update there, but was concerned that the Firmware Check and Manual Update (AiMesh Router) sections were separated. I wasn't sure if the AiMesh section referred to the router's firmware or an alternative mode that I was not running, but after your feedback, the feedback of other forum members, and digging a little deeper in my router settings, I see that I overlooked that the router is branded as an AiMesh Router (I have had the router for 4-5 years and never really noticed this and have never had any problems until now). I apologize for the dumb question (I'd be the first to admit that I am no expert when it comes to this device), but your feedback helps immensely. I will try the revert back today. Thank you so much! I hope you have a wonderful day.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!