What's new

New hardware recommendations to isolate IOT & IP cams

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zapps

New Around Here
Hello,

I'm m looking for hardware recommendations. I currently have some wireless IOT devices, wireless doorbell and a wired NVR that I want to put on their own VLAN. I'm not very savvy with the different hardware vendors and products and could use recommendations.

I made this crappy network diagram attached.

Each colored box is a physically different room in my house. The black lines are Ethernet, blue lines are WiFi. There are 4+ cell phones which roam the two Asus routers that are not shown.

I assume I need a new switch & router to replace my AC68P. What are reasonably priced options to keep my NVR, Doorbell and IOT devices isolated?

network diagram.png

Last edited:
As your diagram does not show any IP cams are they directly connected to the NVR? If so you can do what you want with the equipment you have now. However, if you want to put the Ecobee #2 on an isolated WIFI you could get a new router, such as an AX86U or AX86S, move the AC68P to replace the AC66 and run AiMesh with a guest WIFI enabled on the AiMesh node. The NVR could be a problem unless it is WIFI capable. I have run a security cam system over the same physical network wiring but with the server and PoE cams on a different subnet. The Linux server had two IP addresses assigned to the LAN card; one for the office subnet so the recordings could be viewed and a second for the subnet the cams were on. All without vlan!

As your diagram does not show any IP cams are they directly connected to the NVR? If so you can do what you want with the equipment you have now. However, if you want to put the Ecobee #2 on an isolated WIFI you could get a new router, such as an AX86U or AX86S, move the AC68P to replace the AC66 and run AiMesh with a guest WIFI enabled on the AiMesh node. The NVR could be a problem unless it is WIFI capable. I have run a security cam system over the same physical network wiring but with the server and PoE cams on a different subnet. The Linux server had two IP addresses assigned to the LAN card; one for the office subnet so the recordings could be viewed and a second for the subnet the cams were on. All without vlan!
You're right, cams are directly connected to the NVR.

The NVR does not have WiFi capabilities.

I should have been more specific, is it possible to prevent the NVR from snooping my network given how its connected?

Last edited:
I made this crappy network diagram attached.

For a concern about security, attaching a PDF file is a curious choice - PDF's are technically a programming language (being a subset of postscript)

The problem I have with this conversation so far is: If you are not too savvy on what you are getting into, then it's very easy to make rookie mistakes that either lock you out, or don't lock anyone out of the systems you are trying to protect - all while spending money in the process.