What's new

New Home Network advise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Juvx

New Around Here
Hi Gents,
So im looking to set up a brand new home network and would like some advise.
I have gigabit internet speeds and would like the hardware and network to take advantage of that speed as best as possible and more for my freeNAS based NAS.

So I was thinking a Mix of wired 1 gbe, 10 gbe (maybe) and wi-fi

I have a Main windows 10 PC that i use for heavy video and photo editing,
Macbook pro, macbook (2016), macbook air, 3 smart tvs, xbox, 6 IOS devices.

My main Concerns are: the most efficiant use of that gigabit internet (its expensive) so i want the least amount of bottlenecks and 2. the fastest possible transfer speeds from my NAS to my PC.

Its pretty much a blank slate network wise, How would you guys set up such a network and what hardware would you use assuming i have nothing right now and a pretty large budget for a home (1000-1500$) I dont mind buying used on ebay as well.

A proper implementation of 10GbE will eat your entire budget up pretty quickly. ;)

If you have multiple CAT5e or better cable runs to all rooms of your new home, you're off to a great start.

Select a central location (in 3D) for your main WiFi router (with at least 8 and even 12 Ethernet cable runs to feed it properly that run back to a central closet for your switches or patch panels).

You don't mention the layout or the SqFt of the property in question. But I would start with an RT-AC3100 for the main router and go from there.

A proper implementation of 10GbE will eat your entire budget up pretty quickly. ;)

If you have multiple CAT5e or better cable runs to all rooms of your new home, you're off to a great start.

Select a central location (in 3D) for your main WiFi router (with at least 8 and even 12 Ethernet cable runs to feed it properly that run back to a central closet for your switches or patch panels).

You don't mention the layout or the SqFt of the property in question. But I would start with an RT-AC3100 for the main router and go from there.
Im only looking for a 10 gbe connection between my NAS and PC.

Im only looking for a 10 gbe connection between my NAS and PC.

That is a very short sighted option, imo.

You can easily wire the new home with 10GbE capable runs today at a huge cost savings of upgrading them at anytime in the future. You can still only have the NAS and PC connected via 10GbE (add a 1GbE network card for the rest of the network) directly without an expensive 10GbE switch in between them.

Lay down the base building blocks first though and add as your budget allows.

That is a very short sighted option, imo.

You can easily wire the new home with 10GbE capable runs today at a huge cost savings of upgrading them at anytime in the future. You can still only have the NAS and PC connected via 10GbE (add a 1GbE network card for the rest of the network) directly without an expensive 10GbE switch in between them.

Lay down the base building blocks first though and add as your budget allows.
So you're saying to use 2 NICs in my PC one normal, one 10 gbe and same in my NAS and do a direct connection between them via the 10 gbe NICs? then have the rest of the house CAT5e? Is there a benifit with using CAT6 or CAT7 wires over CAT5e?

No, I'm saying put the best Ethernet cabling you can (it's cheap if you string it yourself, but make sure to have a 'pro' test and verify it before boarding everything up).

You want the whole house 10GbE capable (that future will come sooner than later).

There is a difference between different cable categories. One of the main differences is how far they can sustain the connection speed they are meant to.

If you have really short runs, CAT5e may be sufficient to have basic/effective 10GbE performance.

If you have longer runs or more interference on those runs, CAT6a or CAT7 would be the better option.

Considering that the price difference for the cable is not a huge factor considering how little a typical home uses, buying the best cable is a cost savings in the long run if you want the fastest and most stable LAN layout (wiring).

You need to plan the wiring and location first as it will drive the equipment. You need to find a local cable company to install your Ethernet drops and certify them. You may find your $1500 is almost used up with cabling. In Austin Texas I talked with a cabling company for 6 drops for my daughter house and it was over $500 without a patch panel.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!