What's new

New house need wireless coverage throughout

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TroyHoot

New Around Here
Closing on this house soon. Trying to figure out what i need for wireless coverage throughout the house. Going to try and hard wire most equipment. But we have some things that wont be wired.

These wont be wired
2 phones, tablet, laptop, playstation vita, maybe a TV or 2. So need to be able to stream video from the media server and internet.

Right now I have a Asus rt-n66w. Planning to add a large switch. Then a small switch in the Bonus room above the garage. It will be my wifes office. With TV, pc, network printer, laptop for daughter sometimes. maybe couple other devices up there. Another small switch in living room for TV, and gaming consoles.

My main computer/media room will be the upstairs den on other side of house.

I dont think my current router will reach all through the house. unless I maybe put it in the kitchen somewhere. It handles the 3 of us streaming and gaming no problem right now. But we usually dont stream HD that often. This might change in the new house.

So I have been looking at APs our another router in AP mode for above garage. But I dont want the rest of the family to have to worry about changing wireless connections when they change rooms.

Any suggestions of how to make this work? Im open to ideas. Right now I only have the asus router. Going to be buying a Motorola SB6183 for the modem in that house.

Basic layout of the house.

house.png

Hi there, my house is 3000+ sf and I only have the ASUS RT-3200, I get coverage all over the house and 4 houses over.
Hope this helps

My first plan was to have the router in/or around the Den on second floor north. Then put an AP and a switch in the Bonus room above garage.
But I read the devices would have to change manually to the closer network. or they would hold on to weaker signal till it gave out.

My second thought was a higher powered AP on the kitchen ceiling or on top of the cabinents. Maybe it would have enough distance to reach both sides of the upstairs. This would be ideal, so the wife and daughter wouldnt have to worry about changing connections when they move to different rooms of the house.

Once we close I can set up my RT-n66w in the kitchen and check signal strength with my phone app. But was hoping to get some suggestions from others that have had same or similar situation.

I really dont want the girls to have to worry about changing anything. Just work for them. Less stress on them means less stress on me. haha

Been looking at high powered APs but getting mixed reviews. And most dont seem any better then just a router in AP mode.

I do need 2.4 and 5k bands. We have older and newer equipment that we use.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!