What's new

New in Asus/Merlin world - fisrt impressions and wishes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ratinrouter

New Around Here
I just bought AC68U router and discover that it has lack of some basic functions like edit PortForwarding or DHCP Reservation names, so I decided to upgrade to Merlin. Upgrade was succesfull and I'm now happy user of Asus router. Well, not very happy, just happy - wan and lan speed, and wireless strenght are great, but some features works not as I expected.

I want to ask few requests about new functions/features:

1. ARP Binding - I made this using tutorial on ASUS support forum (arp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy from telnet) and it works, but after router restarts, permanent binding is missing. I heard that someone made script for that ARP Binding, but I'm not that experienced so I don't know how can I made it. Also - on TP Links there is ARP Binding option in webadmin. Maybe adding this option will be nice idea?

2. Temporary disable port forwarding - I was using Linksys routers and there was checkbox that I can uncheck to disable specific entry (then re-enable it without adding the same rule again). Is possible to add this feature? Or maybe at least "last deleted port forwarding entries" list?

3. More responsive webadmin - everyone says that webadmin is nice on Asus, but I was trying to Wake my computer by built-in WOL using my smartphone and it's possible but extremely hard (works really bad on small screens). Maybe it will be good idea to made some improvements over webadmin?

4. Separate WakeOnLan - now waking computer requires admin login on webadmin interface (or ARP Binding for using standard programs that sends magic packets from WAN). Adding separate login and password to WOL webadmin section will be nice. Maybe even simplest WOL separate small webadmin website (with separate login/password)? Or at least some improvements over WOL - if router gest magic packet, then let send it to predefined IP/MAC/port from some list, even if router thinks there is no client connected?

5. AiDisk - is possible to add possibily to login as user (like in FTP case), not as admin? Also Smart Access - I've tested it and compared to Abyss (webserver) or Filezilla Server (FTP) it's very slow (i've tested it on two computers that have up/down speed about 300 Mbits). Abyss and Filezilla FTP gives me about 10-11 MB/s while Smart Access only 4 MB/s. Is any chance to improve that speed? Until then this option is useless and simply FTP server on local computer is way better that Asus router built-in one (it's not cheap router, so some of his functions should work a little better/faster).

5a. Maybe some Merlin separate version of that Smart Access / AiDisk etc? With simplier look, without https maybe (which made some problems with certificate anyway)?

Some of my request may be not so good (as I am not experienced net user) or maybe I explain something bad, but I hope there can be at least nice suggestions.

PS. After 3 days of fight with total annoying router (problem with "disappearing printer", not working smart sync, bad working almost every of AiCloud stuff, poor "download master" crap) I finally understood that AC68U is very overpriced piece of crap. Print server problem is last thing that pissed me off. After research and waste whole day, I discover that many people has the same problems and no one even trying to fix anything. Alternative or not - firmware is just nice looking crap. I'm not sure is that firmware or maybe hardware problem that firmware can't resolve - I don't care. I never ever buy Asus router again. Reviews are fantastic, "product of the year" etc. I can agree that router is fast. But come on - if I buy fast and expansive car, I don't want only speed and nice car body - I want also that everything works, including additional extra stuff that I pay for. In this case I say "ok, no problem, I don't must use AiCloud or other crappy stuff", but come on - I'll not buy new separate printserver because Asus can't made working router. So bye bye Asus, welcome cheaper TP-Link Archer (C7 or C9).

I don't know about the AC68U, but my AC56U is working perfectly ? Maybe you've overlooked settings or ask too much out of the router you bought?
You might wanna try using Entware / Optware with the router to enable stuff you want and not use AICloud stuff?

"Uptime 13 days 21 hours 31 minute(s) 14 seconds" without any faults whatsoever with Merlin's 378.56_2 firmware is pretty good IMO.

PS. After 3 days of fight with total annoying router (problem with "disappearing printer", not working smart sync, bad working almost every of AiCloud stuff, poor "download master" crap) I finally understood that AC68U is very overpriced piece of crap. Print server problem is last thing that pissed me off. After research and waste whole day, I discover that many people has the same problems and no one even trying to fix anything. Alternative or not - firmware is just nice looking crap. I'm not sure is that firmware or maybe hardware problem that firmware can't resolve - I don't care. I never ever buy Asus router again. Reviews are fantastic, "product of the year" etc. I can agree that router is fast. But come on - if I buy fast and expansive car, I don't want only speed and nice car body - I want also that everything works, including additional extra stuff that I pay for. In this case I say "ok, no problem, I don't must use AiCloud or other crappy stuff", but come on - I'll not buy new separate printserver because Asus can't made working router. So bye bye Asus, welcome cheaper TP-Link Archer (C7 or C9).
Sorry to hear nothing appears to work correctly. However, I use most of the functions (no printserver though) that you mention and don't have any issues whatsoever...

You will get the same type of problems whenever you try to use a router to act as a print server, regardless of the router manufacturer - compatibility is so-so, as printers were NOT designed to be used that way. Even worse, most USB printers aren't even officially supported under Linux by their manufacturers - which is the OS run on these routers. The only way to have a stable printer on a network is to either share it with a Windows computer (as this scenario is actually tested and supported by the printer manufacturer), or buy a network-capable printer (which is becoming the norm today).

Sorry to hear nothing appears to work correctly. However, I use most of the functions (no printserver though) that you mention and don't have any issues whatsoever...
I can use router without Ai functions, but not without printserver. Read this: https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20130205224229183 (first posts are about RT-N66U but after that someone has the same problem with AC68U).
I've tested FTP server and smart access etc. I also install Filezilla server and Abyss webserver - both PC programs are much faster than built-in ones, so what is the point of using something that works slower? All this stuff is not worth using imo.

About printer - I agree that this may be compatibility in theory, but in fact if something works one day (I can restart computer and printer and it still works) and stops working day after, then it's not compatibility issue. Compatiblity problems are when something do not work at all. If printer.exe tool not works until router restarts, then it's router fault.

Also - I have very VERY old and very bad Planet router that I've used as printserver (has USB ports for that). Standard TCP/IP connection and print is starting after 1-2 seconds. And works always without problems. On ASUS Standard TCP/IP connection works (almost) without problems too, but I must wait 10 seconds (no matter what settings) for start printing. It's not a big improvement over old and bad Planet, isn't?

Also - I've tested some TP-Link better gigabit routers and reason why I bought Asus was that I want something even better (as I've read in reviews). And I get something worse. I'm using mostly cable connection, I don't really care about wireless stuff. Wired connection speed is important for me (and number of connections that router can handle). Even cheap gigabit TP-Link can handle 300 Mbit internet connection, so I expect Archer C7 or C9 do the same for me without all that crap stuff and for 70% price. And also look at compatibility list of printers for Archers and compare with ASUS - big difference. I don't expect any problems.

Gras ain't greener on the other side, I know that. But in this case I choose this "greener side" when I bough Asus, because I was thinking that it will be perfect. Two years with firmware updates (alternative and main) and I've seen that is still far from ok. If one thing doesn't work then is not so bad. If lot of stuff works bad, others are non-important for me (like AV, parental control or even QOS) and others are slow, then I'm sure that AC68U is not router for me. Sad, because was looks very nice.

"Uptime 13 days 21 hours 31 minute(s) 14 seconds" without any faults whatsoever with Merlin's 378.56_2 firmware is pretty good IMO.
Not really. :) My old Linksys E2000 was almost never rebooted and works few years. Few days (even 13) is not success, it's just a beginning. Good router should be invisible for user. You can even forgot that you have one until you need/want to change something.

Not really. :) My old Linksys E2000 was almost never rebooted and works few years. Few days (even 13) is not success, it's just a beginning. Good router should be invisible for user. You can even forgot that you have one until you need/want to change something.

Oh but that's because i've recently updated the firmware! I've had no issues with prior firmware aswell, and had an uptime of about 2 months! It too bad you're having problems with yours, because this is by far the best router i've ever had!

Fastest - maybe. Best - no way. I prefer something that works - not just basic functions but everything if producer add some extra stuff. I do not return this router because is slow or because has problem with network. Just that extra stuff.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!