What's new

New Internet Service

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've just seen engineers working in the street outside my home and on speaking to them, they told me that they are laying fibre optic cables for full fibre internet services, as opposed to FTTC which I have now. Will this mean that if I wish to take advantage of this technology upgrade, I shall need to either change from my current provider (Plusnet unlimited) or sign up for a new service with Plusnet? Also, will the current cable that I have running from the master socket by the front door to the top of the stairs where my DrayTek Vigor 130 Modem and ASUS RT-AX88U are located need to be replaced?

You should have asked the engineers what company they were installing the fibre for.

With FTTP you don't use a modem. The fibre is connected to an ONT in your house and you connect a standard wireless router (like your RT-AX88U) to it.

I understand that they are going to be sending someone round to explain it all, alhtough I don't know when. Do you happen to know what type of cable is used to connect the ONT to the router? At the moment, I have an RJ11 cable running from the master socket to a DrayTek Vigor 130 and an RJ45 cable running from the modem to the adjacnet RT-AX88U at the top of the stairs, via a Cyberpower VP1000EILCD Value Pro.

Regular Ethernet LAN cables, with RJ45 terminations, are used from the ONT to the router.

OK , thanks for that. If I decide I'm going to go for the FTTH option then I'll replace the current RJ11 cable with an RJ45 (which, ironically, I had before, but then had to replace it with the current RJ11 cable so that I could move the DrayTek modem upstairs to take advantage of the Cyberpower UPS). I think the cable I removed may have been a Cat 7 cable and I may still have it amongst my box of data cables in the loft, so I could use that.

You should have asked the engineers what company they were installing the fibre for.

With FTTP you don't use a modem. The fibre is connected to an ONT in your house and you connect a standard wireless router (like your RT-AX88U) to it.
Apparently it's CityFibre that is laying the infrastructure. The full details are here:-

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!