What's new

New LAN Setup Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Charle4

New Around Here
Ok,
I am new to the forums, but have used the great info here recently to influence some networking decisions. I have 1 iMac (mid 2009), 1 mac mini (brand new just got 2 days ago), 2 MBP 13's in the house, and apple time capsule. I want to wire the whole house with CAT6 to use my mini (connected to my home theater setup) to stream videos and use as file storage repository. I have ordered an HP ProCurve 1400-24G switch and need to know some things about placement in the network.

My ATT DSL modem is in my kitchen, directly connected to the Time Capsule. I want to leave the modem there because the DSL splitter is there. Can I put the switch in my media cabinet, run all of my lines through the house, and connect them centrally to the switch?

Also, how will I secure my network with the TimeCapsule firewall?

I plan on using keystone jacks and wallplates, 1000' CAT6 UTP spool from monoprice and fabricating my own custom lengths. Can you all think of anything I am missing here that I need for a clean organized install?

One more thing. Would a small standalone rack to mount the switch in be favorable, or maybe something like a Levitron wiring box be a more organized solution?

Thanks! And if you have any advice about any aspect of my project, please let me know. I would love all of the input and help I can get.

-CJ

My ATT DSL modem is in my kitchen, directly connected to the Time Capsule. I want to leave the modem there because the DSL splitter is there. Can I put the switch in my media cabinet, run all of my lines through the house, and connect them centrally to the switch?
Yes. Switch and modem don't have to be co-located. Of course, you could just move the splitter someplace else, no?

Also, how will I secure my network with the TimeCapsule firewall?
Like all consumer routers, the TimeCapsule has a NAT firewall, which will keep unsolicited traffic from the Internet from coming through it. Of course, you need up-to-date anti-virus and anti-malware running on all systems, since the firewall doesn't protect against them.

I plan on using keystone jacks and wallplates, 1000' CAT6 UTP spool from monoprice and fabricating my own custom lengths. Can you all think of anything I am missing here that I need for a clean organized install?
You might want to read this series:
How To: Diary of a New Home Network- Part 1

How To: Diary of a New Home Network- Part 2

How To: Diary of a New Home Network - Part 3

One more thing. Would a small standalone rack to mount the switch in be favorable, or maybe something like a Levitron wiring box be a more organized solution?
Purely preference. An enclosure may not dissipate heat as well as a rack or shelf.

Well I hadn't considered moving where the phone line enters the residence, but now that I think about it, the idea would make it easier to have everything centrally located in the cabinet.

And i started on the home diary series...will let you know about my thought when I finish