What's new

News New MSI RADIX routers. WIFI7, WIFI6/6E

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jsz

Pretty interesting. The RADIX AXE6600 and AX6600 look to be Qualcomm based.

EE design looks eerily similar to the Synology RT6600AX. I would assume a similar IPQ6018 + QCN90XX setup.

Hope the 4x4 radio isn't intended for 6Ghz on the AXE version.. would be a waste IMO.

Edit: Product display shows "1.8ghz quad core".. so IPQ6018 confirmed.

I really wonder if theres any ties to Synology given this is MSI's first real fray into the world of WIFI routers. PCB's are almost identical, minus RAM config/RGB controllers.

Edit 2: On/Off button and DC plug assembly are also identical albeit repositioned. Clearly a copy/paste job ;)

Last edited:
The moving antennae of the Lord Vader's ship looking router (#1) is a big pass. Just imaging how many of those will break, and the posts around the web.
The AX usb adapter might be interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah I didn't really pay too much attention to that.

Seems like a big gimmick, even if there are legitimate benefits. Price performance will always dominate choice and that seems like it won't be cost effective relative to alt options.

I'm more interested in the AX/E 6600 models given the PCB looks like a straight up EE copy of the Synology RT6600AX. I wonder what the story is there. Market availability in feb apparently.

Seems like a big gimmick, even if there are legitimate benefits.
Personally I think it makes no sense. First, how will it deal with having multiple clients around the house?

An omnidirectional antenna will work just fine regardless of the position, provided all clients are on the same plane.

I'm more interested in the AX/E 6600 models given the PCB looks like a straight up EE copy of the Synology RT6600AX. I wonder what the story is there. Market availability in feb apparently.

Most likely shared HW reference design...

SW will be interesting - Syno on the RT2600ac is their code, not just a reskin of QSDK - Qualcomm closed source drivers for ath10k, NSS obviously are pulled in, but it's not just QSDK under the hood...

I have to assume that RT6600ax is similar...

Most likely shared HW reference design...

SW will be interesting - Syno on the RT2600ac is their code, not just a reskin of QSDK - Qualcomm closed source drivers for ath10k, NSS obviously are pulled in, but it's not just QSDK under the hood...

I have to assume that RT6600ax is similar...

I've seen specific OEM designs get pawned around in other industries, but I'm not sure if thats the same case here.

I guess time will tell.

I would assume a similar IPQ6018 + QCN90XX setup.

IPQ80xx - the CCA (see time 3:19) shows this - similar to the Wally's reference boards (QCA works with them for reference designs that are cost optimized)

IPQ80xx - the CCA (see time 3:19) shows this - similar to the Wally's reference boards (QCA works with them for reference designs that are cost optimized)

I see. Definitely seems like the same IPQ6018 + Gen 2 4x4 chip though.. Be it 9024 or 9074

MSI's product is confirmed 1.8ghz quad. IPQ80xx doesn't fit that criteria.

Last edited:
Since Qualcomm's SDK now supports OpenWRT, they probably went down that route to reduce the costs of developing + maintaining the firmware. Unless they licenced that firmware that I can't remember the name (the one Netgear based their 7800 firmware on).

Since Qualcomm's SDK now supports OpenWRT, they probably went down that route to reduce the costs of developing + maintaining the firmware. Unless they licenced that firmware that I can't remember the name (the one Netgear based their 7800 firmware on).

I would say that Qualcomm's QSDK is more of a fork, and it evolves on it's own outside of OpenWRT...

Last I checked, QSDK is still based on Chaos Calmer, but as I mentioned, it's mostly the build environment infrastructure - drivers, kernel patches, various subsystems are not necessarily brought forward into Master..

Last edited: