What's new

New offical firmware released for the AC87U today; when does merlin get the new fixes?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snoopeloop568

Occasional Visitor
Just wondering how long it usually takes for new security fixes from offical releases to make their way into merlin since I'm currently running on merlin firmware. I'm contemplating going back to offical firmware for the security updates. Should I wait instead?

Just wondering how long it usually takes for new security fixes from offical releases to make their way into merlin since I'm currently running on merlin firmware. I'm contemplating going back to offical firmware for the security updates. Should I wait instead?
he is often in front of Asus. Nothing even to think about ;)

This is the first Asus release in 10 months for the RT-AC87U. For these past 10 months, my firmware was ahead of Asus's own in terms of security. So, why the sudden panic?

You can't jump back and forth each time one of us jumps ahead of the other in terms of fixes, you will go nuts reconfiguring your router from scratch each time you do so (you cannot go back to stock firmware without having to reconfigure everything). Just pick one, and stick to it.

In the case of the RT-AC87U, Asus has this device on a 1-2 yearly release cycle these days, which means my firmware will contain more security fixes almost each and every time, as I issue more frequent releases, based on a newer code base that Asus updates more frequently as well.

This is the first Asus release in 10 months for the RT-AC87U. For these past 10 months, my firmware was ahead of Asus's own in terms of security. So, why the sudden panic?

You can't jump back and forth each time one of us jumps ahead of the other in terms of fixes, you will go nuts reconfiguring your router from scratch each time you do so (you cannot go back to stock firmware without having to reconfigure everything). Just pick one, and stick to it.

In the case of the RT-AC87U, Asus has this device on a 1-2 yearly release cycle these days, which means my firmware will contain more security fixes almost each and every time, as I issue more frequent releases, based on a newer code base that Asus updates more frequently as well.

OK, awesome thanks. I'm still learning how all of this works so it's mostly ignorance on my part.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!